Sunday 30 December 2007

Good day had by all.

Had a really nice day today..foot isnt too bad suprisingly but sporting a fetching bruise:)
My dad is up for the Christmas so he and my brother came up to the farm to walk the dogs while I rode Polo.When we were ready to go they put the dogs(5borders 1GSD) in his jeep and my car then drove along the lane to meet me at the track as I rode along...saved me the usual job of walking and leading!
The dogs were tearing around, Polo must get dizzy trying to keep track of them but he's really good at not standing on them.My dad and brother turned back before me as its all uphill I kept going a bit further with my 3pooches in tow then galloped up the hills to catch them up.Buster is going through a bit of a rebelious faze at the moment and has a tendancy to run up to people and dogs barking but he was very well behaved.I always have a pocket full of dog biscuits when they come out with the horse to keep them focused on me when I need them close,Minx and Mouse are pro's and Buster seems to be getting the idea..it helps they are incredibly greed dogs:))
Dogs got deposited in the car to be driven to the farm while I rode back.
Polo was very keen and forward today so worked up quite a sweat despite being clipped yesterday.
I was going to take AliG in the school but it was busy so decided to go for a short hack on him.I honestly find it hard to put into words how laid back he is the only thing that seems to remotely excite him is other horse's,when a car passes he's nearly on the bonnet he's that unconcerned:)))
He had one little shy,its hard to describe what he does as a shy is move of a slow motion hesitation,but anyway it was when we passed the riding school their geese were in the field making a noise but he couldnt see them..perfectly understandable.
He got a few boots and sharp smacks for dawdling a couple of times but all in all he was pretty darn good considering he's only been on a few hacks by himself and how little he's done in the past few months full stop.
I really enjoyed myself today,I get very stressy/stroppy and tired when im at work and it definately affects how I deal with the horse's but this week has been great..minus the foot of course!!:)

6 comments:

cptrayes said...

Geese! Good grief, Jazz would have had a heart attack!

C

Claire said...

alig is going to be wonderful, isn't he. sounds a bit like caroline's Zip for laidbackness...i know that's not a word!

Nicola said...

:):):)Those geese seem to lie in wait!A few times just as Polo's walked past them they let out a loud squark (or whatever the heck noise geese make?)making him leap in the air..they attack the cars driving past too!

Quiet day today, well for the neds not me.I spent all morning doing housework,so they just got fed while i poo picked then turned back out.

cptrayes said...

What's housework?

C

Jean said...

Housework is when you ignore the stuff piled up all over the furniture and floor and try to find a path through it. *G*

Ah, the geese. Used to board at a farm where there was a pond and the geese would wait until you rode by to all take off from the water with a great honking and splashing.

Here they gather the in cut cornfield to lie in wait for a horse to come by. Toby is unimpressed as he lived at the pond farm. Not too sure about Tuck but so far so good.

Chance is Zip and AliG style. It's great to have a youngster with a level head and a calm demeanor. Wonder if the three of them are going to stay that way or eventually decide that life is far more exciting.

Great to have a week without work to just relax and enjoy the horses. Happy New Year!

Muriel said...

Happy New Year Nicola and your boys.

Best wishes for 2008,

Baci ,
Muriel