Saturday 29 December 2007

Strange old day...

I hung on and hung on this morning waiting for it to stop raining,it was lashing down.Gave up at 11.30 decided to go up do jobs as it was 'obviously' in for the day and I didnt fancy riding in it today.
No sooner had I got to the farm then the clouds broke and it was actually sunny = me fumming cos I hadnt brought a saddle!
The boys were pleased to see me as at some point the gate had blown shut blocking them out of the pen and their shed,so they were keen to get in and dry.
I poo picked then clipped Polo,I just take his chest and half his neck out,he's no bother to clip just stands dozing.I then trimmed his feet and gave his frogs a good spray with my cider vinegar/teatree oil mix.
I then decided to give AliG a quick trim.Im still using M's trimmer for Ali as his feet were all over the place when he came and I was a bit concerned about them but I usually keep them tidied up inbetween trims and to help keep his heels down.
He been absolutely fine about having his feet picked out for a while now but still a bit hit and miss with the trimming in that he snatches his feet away or will collapse down on you 'usually' on the front feet.
Anyway the bugger virtually sat on my when I was trimming his hind foot!:0
I could feel him start to drop onto me so I quickly let go of his leg and of course he stood on my foot..heavily.It was excrutiating(already my dodgy foot where my toe doesnt bend from the joint)I screamed at him then im afraid he got a wallop!
The thing is he doesnt seem scared when you do his feet its almost like he's thinking I dont see why I should pick my foot up and hold it so I wont,he's very well balanced so thats not the reason.I always keep it short so he's not expected to hold it up for long and dont both with the stand at the moment as he just keep snatching his foot away knocking it over.I picked it back up after I'd stopped hopping and swearing, gave it a few more swipes with the rasp to make a point then put it down and gave him a pat.
Anyway Ive got a cracking bruise and very sore foot!

Hoping to ride both of them tomorrow weather permitting.

4 comments:

Claire said...

making up for yesterday's angelic behaviour?

ouchy!

cptrayes said...

Well I'm not sure why you're apologising for walloping him!

C.

Nicola said...

I know what you meant caroline.I suppose I always feel bit guilty afterwards cos im a bit of a hot headed but nearly sitting on me! I can honesty say ive never had that happen before.

Jean said...

Never apologize for correcting/walloping a horse that hurts you. They need to understand you are not another horse to be bonked about. Hope your foot is OK.

Typical of the weather. Just when you give up, it gives up.