Friday 14 December 2007

Interesting..

the ground work and in-hand stuff is certainly showing a side to AliG which I doubt i'd see if I was just doing the usual handling and riding.Took him for a walk yesterday and asked for a few stride of trot following me and would he heck move faster than a walk!No amount of encouragement would get him to speed up,I flicked his side with the lead rope and still nothing.So I did some circling with him throwing a bit of a hissy fit whenever I asked him to go right,I asked him to follow me and trot again and he refused so more circling..did this 3times then he hurrah he trotted I kept it to a short burst and gave him lots of praise and pats while he was trotting along with me:)

Muriel asked what I mean when I said lots of pressure.Im not great at explaining how I do things but I dont use a lunge whip,Richard Maxwell(who's 'stuff im following) uses a longer rope and swings it to indicate when you want them to move ie;swinging the rope to the quarters means move the backend over/away etc.So its a case of swinging the rope with more intensity and using your body to create the movement then as soon a you get what you want to stop which takes the pressure off.He believes you shouldnt continually nag at them to keep them going so they learn to take responsibility to maintain the speed until you ask them to do any different.The pressure only comes back on if they stop or start falling in on you for example.This should be good for AliG actually as he isnt the most forward boy to ride!

Its strange but Im feeling more of a connection with him recently which may well be linked to the groundwork we've been doing?He usually comes in following Polo and doesnt move until Polo does but this week he's been coming when I shout for them before Polo.I think because ive been through such a lot with Polo Ive found it difficult to feel any deep emotion for AliG but recently it seems to be happening:)
Must sound crazy when Polo's so difficult and AliG is what many people would consider to be a dream horse but im getting there,been a bit hard to deal with and accept as I love my animals with a passion!

2 comments:

Jean said...

So, AliG shows his "little bit of naughty" side. My Chance might have a little of that in him too. I do know when I first lunged him, he didn't want to go to the right, so he threw a mini-tantrum until he finally decided doing it my way was better than rearing.

I'm sure your patience and skill will work it out of him.

Muriel said...

I am now a convert of any type of NH groundwork. They often say that until you start everything is just fine. then horses easily get along with grooming tacking etc ... But when you start proper Nh groundwork, your horse can show another side.

Keep up, it really makes a difference.