Wednesday 12 December 2007

Its FREEZING!!!!

Wow its really cold but it's dry so thats good,dont mind putting extra layers on but I hate getting wet AND cold.
I'll track back...
Sunday was a really good day out!
Oliver Townsend is so funny,typical young male eventer...totally without fear.He seemed a really nice lad,mucking in with all the kids between his demo's,they were having mini jumping competitions with their pony's and dogs and he was running round like crazy helping lift dogs over jumps and encouraging reluctant ponys.Lots of silly stories,jumping with his eyes shut and making faces at the crowd.He really emphasised that he lets the horse's think for themselves and doesnt 'nurse' them when they are jumping so they are clever and up for the challenge of cross country.
Heather and Max were really good but I thought the demo could have done with being longer..she was cut short by the organisers when people were starting to ask questions.Max's horse is a lovely big boy and I could imagine he was a real handfull when he came to him in the beginning (was going to be shot before Max took him on!).
Had a chat to Damien,one of Heather's old students about going for some lessons on his school masters.He's based at Sheffield which is around 2hrs travelling ,I reckon it could be a good short term solution to the lack of horse transport and decent local instructors.
M couldnt come due to more problems with her horrible OH so my non-horsey friend from work came(was a shame to waste the ticket), she really enjoyed it to the point she's now determind to learn to ride and wants to come to Damien's if I sort some lessons out.
My Mum and her friend came too and she bought me a new pair of Ariat long boots at an excellent price for christmas,I got AliG's heavyweight winter rug and a few other bits and pieces.

On Monday I did some groundwork with AliG.He definately doesnt want to circle right,he just stands looking at me refusing to move so I had to put quite a lot of pressure on to get him to move.He got a bit narked a few times as if to say "how dare you tell me to do that" his reactions are so mild compared to Polo though, its just a case of me 'trying' to be patient(not one of my strongest points)and persisting.I then took him out for a walk in-hand with Minx,Mouse and Buster in tow.
All the horse's up the lane started charging around the fields (that always happens with him??) well the most he did was have a little snort and bounce,not bad for a three year old who hasnt left the yard for over 5 weeks;)
Buster managed to get totally tangled up in his legs cos he thought the horse's in the field were going to get him and panicked a bit but Ali didnt react at all or it could have been nasty.

Yesterday it was Polo's turn and we went out for a an hour& half with the dogs.I have to walk the lane stretch with the dogs on leads as there's a lot more cars with the new livery yards that have opened and some of them dont slow down(even though they are horse owners..makes sense- NOT!) but its good exercise for me.It was cold but bright and we had a lovely hack,Polo was very chilled.
They both seem to be doing well living out AliG is still very 'round' and Polo's coat is a lovely rich mahogany type colour at the moment so as long as they stay in this sort of condition,well hopefully a bit less condition for Ali;),I wont change what im doing.

3 comments:

Muriel said...

The weather is weird. Sunday with had rain + gale, monday and tuesday FREEZING cold, black ice on road. Yesterday at 4 pm it was 2 degrees. Today .. at 4pm it was 10 degrees ...

I like hearing about AliG progress by meaning using lots of pressure what did you do? do you use a lungeing whip? Linda cannot stand me to hit ...the ground. She starts running like a headless chicken LOL

Claire said...

Nicola, if you want to organise to go to damian's, I'll be up for that - need an EE lunge lesson ...but would probably have to be a weekend unless we can go between xmas & new year...or whenever..

on saturday, heather said come ask questions on the stand, and i think people did that...

Jean said...

And a good time was had by all. The demos all sound good.

AliG does have a bit of an attitude, but at least he's willing to be convinced to do things your way. I do like the fact that he does not overreact.