Saturday 8 December 2007

Ive lost it!

the plot that is...I rode today in the sleety,snow and gales!
There was a reson but I was still riding along saying to myself "you need your head read!":)
Well the reason was Polo was a naughty boy to catch so I got my determinded/
stubborn head on and thought if you've got energy to be a prat you can do some work. I got to the farm at 11ish and went into the field to get the boys in,Polo usually comes as soon as I shout then AliG follows him in but today he just looked at my then put his head down and kept eating (it wasnt raining,sleeting or snowing at this point).So I walked over to get them AliG came first so I put halter on him and started leading him in.Polo then proceeded to charge the dogs in the field then galloped off towards Ellie totally full of attitude..well I was furious and screamed at him.Bless him Ali didnt react to Polo being stupid and just tootled in following me.
I marched back in the field with rope halter incase I needed it when I caught him..yes when I never dont catch him when he's being silly!He gave me his 'look' that means he's not going to come without a battle of will's, so I drove him around the field swinging the lead rope at him making him change direction and keeping going until I decide to stop.The reason I do this is if I dont get the submission from him this way he'll let me catch him get so far then rear and pull away so he isnt allowed to dictate when he does or doesnt come in...he can come in nicely or do some work first then come in!
I was mad..can you tell:-0.
I think he was being a pratt because Ellie usually goes out in the morning after he and Ali come in for their couple of hours in the stable so he simply didnt want to leave his chick.

It had started raining by this point and was very cold and windy BUT determinded head rules out any common sense so I tacked him up and rode.We only went out for less than an hour but the weather was getting progressively worse,sleety blowing hard across the lane,we got soaked..my legs were so cold it was like someone was stabbing me with pins and my face was totally numb.Needless to say we trotted most of the way and Polo was steaming time we got back.
Few pics...not sure if you can see the sleet on it?





Wet through and steaming


..<

Having a good roll




I was going to take Ali for a walk inhand but the weather was so bad and I was absolutely freezing I couldnt face it but he had a good brush and I trimmed his feet a little and he was so much better and having them done.

Ive just had some pics developed from my 'proper' camera and there are some of the pups at various stages,last years Crufts with Mouse (yes last March)and some of AliG..my god he's put a huge amount of weight on:00

Off to Harrogate tomorrow....

3 comments:

Jean said...

OOh, I remember those days of "Catch me if you can." My old fellow PJ used to play the game. I acutally think now it was because he had soreness issues later treated with acupuncture, so he stopped being difficult...) But the chasing technique certainly does work. And then, of course, a good workout under saddle afterwards.

Got caught in a sleet storm once coming back from an overnight trail ride--serious change of weather. It was one of the most miserable, uncomfortable rides I can ever remember. My sympathy.

Claire said...

ooh, rather you than me. where were your waterproof fleecy chaps/whatever when you needed them?

hope you've had a good day today!

i'm now sorting out video to capture some stills..

cptrayes said...

Nothing like a battle to make it worth going out in foul weather!

C