Thursday 3 January 2008

Foiled again by the weather!

We've had snow,sleet and hail off and on all day today so got nothing done with the neds.I went up this morning did the field then hung around a bit waiting to see if it would ease up gave up so went and did my shopping thinking i'd go back if it improved.Unpacked shopping and it seemed to be brightening up but no sooner had I got to the yard it started again so I fed the boys turned them out with lots of haylage in their shed for the night.I dont mind riding in the snow,infact I love it but it was driving down making it pretty unpleasant!

Yesterday was a good day however I rode Polo first taking the dogs with us,it was cold and blustery but he was very good.He was keen to gallop along the grass verges but it was far too slippery so I kept him to a steady trot(well as steady as Polo trots!) much to his annoyance.The horse's in one of the fields we past started tearing around which resulted in much excitement from Polo,lots of snorting and tail in the air.

The school was actually free so I then took AliG in for 25mins for a schooling session.He started off distracted and slooowww so I did lots of serpentines,some leg yielding which he did very well and some halt to walk asking for an instant response.We did a little bit in trot then I couldnt help myself and asked for a few stride in canter on each rein.Its felt very strange because Ive not cantered on him for ages and Polo's canter is VERY different.Hard to describe but its like he's in the air for ages I suppose it feels a bit like being on a rocking horse!:)He's going to find collection so easy which he should given his breeding but ive never rode any horse that feels like this or works in such an effortless outline.


Finally a pic of me foot this was taken the day after it happened its gone a darker colour now and is itching like mad!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Ouchie!!! I've had similar bruises from being stepped on, but not that nasty looking redness from the crushed toes! My sympathy. I THINK the itching is acutally minor pain that just manifests itself as tickles.

Nasty weather never seems to go away when you really are prepared for it to stop. Had you simply gone home, changed your clothes, and had a cup of tea--totally giving up on the idea of riding--the sun would have come out. *G*

Hope you aren't snowed in.

cptrayes said...

Oooh, right on the joints! That's got to have hurt :-)

You sound like Ali has a similar canter to Jazz's. All "within himself" and in the air for an age.
Fun, innit?

C

Claire said...

ooh! are you sure nothing's broken? looks really nasty!

Nicola said...

The red bit on the joint just happens to be my 'dodgy' joint which doesnt bend and gets sore anyway!Luckily I have quite a high pain thresh hold so its not bothering me too much...ive got a terrible needle phobia though.