Tuesday 15 January 2008

Insomnia..

anyone get it and how do you cure it...soon as i come back to work I cant sleep and its killing me:(

Anyway ive still managed to get both boys worked yesterday and today even though I didnt really feel like it!
Yesterday Polo had a hack out with Ellie and he was footy,his frogs are in tatters with all the wet and mud and its obviously bothering.He was avoiding all the muddy bits and just not walking out very well although he still wanted to canter along the verge.
Ive decided to bring them in over night for at least this week possibly longer the weather forecast is for more rain and I Polo seems totally fed up of the muddy conditions.They have the shed with a concrete floor but the area around it is very muddy so I think a week or so in,or until the field dries out a bit is in order!
AliG had a rope circling session I stepped it up a gear and asked for a good forward trot and some canter,he moves lovely.Argued a little about cantering right but minimal I think he's realising there's little point to it (mum's more determind he he) he's being very sensitive and focused and a few times I just had to hold my gaze on his bum and he disengaged and turned to face me AND without coming into me but staying on the circle...pretty good I reckon!

Today I was looking for excuses not to ride but Jo's offered to ride Polo once or twice a week so he and Ali can go out together (it helps me get them both exercised in one go too),she was keen to ride so i gave me the push to get motivated.
We had a very pleasant hack out both boys were very good.AliG actually had a lovely swinging forward walk for a good portion of the way,Polo had his boots on so was much happier too.
One funny moment involved a wagon coming along the lane and me saying to Jo tuck Polo on the verge behind AliG and he'll be fine cos I know Ali wont bat and eye at it:)))
One thing, when we are coming down hills Ali tends to rush a bit and on the steeper hill he seems to get agitated...do you reckon this is just him still being weak and unbalanced or possible feeling his leg still?(im probably fussing there though)
We had a short trot too AliG astonished as Polo shot off at a rate of knots but did he panic or speed up to try and catch him??err noooo dont be silly he just continued to trot steadily along!

So they are in for the first time this winter hopefully not for too long but I cant really complain if its for a month or so.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Hills can be a real challenge to horses not quite grown into themselves. Going down requires them to really engage the hind end and it's a bit scary for some of them. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe if you have some very gradual slopes AliG could practice there. Right now he's just not quite sure how to work his body.

My, he is a sensible boy to just relax along with Polo taking off like that. *S*

Muriel said...

Too funny, AliG leading the way ^-^
That really shows teh difference in personnality of a horse.

AliG is veyr much "left brain" .. cold blooded, and Polo is very much a "right brain" LOL

If I were you I would dismount for the down-hills, it puts a lot of pressure on a young horse joints. AliG has already had a splint (right?), so take it easy :-)

Claire said...

well the mucking out will wear you out if the insomnia doesn't...

cptrayes said...

Downhill's often an issue, I echo that.

Nicola said...

Im still keeping the hacks short with Ali so most of it is pretty flat its just this one hill coming home that seems to cause the reaction ..its not in Caroline's league of hills!

They both had the day off today. I had fun watching them play in the field they were tearing around play fighting.Polo was definately the instigator he's always been very playfull but was bit limited when it was just the mares in with him as they didnt seem to have the same drive for fun so its nice to see him and Ali together.

Mucking out the stables is much easier than pushing a barrow around a muddy field when they are out full time so not sure if that'l help my insomnia Claire:)