Friday 20 June 2008

What a star.

Had a lovely session in the school with AliG today.I thought I'd get in today as its really busy over the weekend,its usually empty mid-week cos everyone's at work or school.
I didnt have the energy to ride so I put him on the longlines which I havent done in the school for weeks and he was brilliant.His work is so much more consistant on the two reins than just being lunged and you can do so much more with them,i'll make sure I dont leave it so long next time..plus he enjoys it more than being lunged!
Started off doing walk with changes of rein then some trot work he was reaching for the bit and stretching down and through his back but not long and low to the point of going onto his forehand he did some beautiful balanced figures of eight in trot.
Moved up into canter he is definitely better on the left rein than the right but he was still pretty good,seems to find it easier to balance with the two reins than when he's lunged.
I finished off doing a little bit of the close inhand work that Rachel taught me.Its the first time Ive tried it with him but once he got the idea he was actually meant to walk when I was alongside him he was excellent:)
I was all fingers and thumbs as it wasnt ideal doing it was the longreins as I had too much in my hands but he did some lovely flexing and some leg yielding.

It started to rain so we finished I was suprised to see we'd been in the school for 40mins,AliG didnt seem keen to leave either so he must have enjoyed it too.
I was going to ride Polo but the sky went black so I fed them and turned them out..obviously the sun came out at this point:)

Ive customised one muzzle lining and padding it with lots of fleece still waiting for the other one to arrive (ebay seller didnt realise i'd paid for two grrr) im reluctant to spend an hour stabbing myself with a needle doing a borrowed one so even though I want them back on asap i'll wait till the other arrives:)

4 comments:

Jean said...

I love longlining myself. Trouble is my knees are so bad I really can't do a lot of the close in work at more than a walk. Kind of frustrating as I think it is one of the best ways to teach a horse to respond to the bit, especially.

Glad you are able to do some much with AliG. Trust me, it will all pay off under saddle.

Nicola said...

Im a totally convert Jean I could never see the point and always did everything under saddle.
AliG is so cool and calm about it which gives me the chance to play about and figure things out as we go.
Polo explodes when your not 100%clear on what your doing.He's so sensitive and cant cope when he doesnt understand something so he's not ideal to try new things on:)
Im just so enjoying working this way at the minute I dont feel like riding half the time:)

Jean said...

Following up on your comment on my site re: Your bad riding causing problems.

Probably not true at all. I doubt with all your experience on Polo, that you are at all bad. AliG, as a green youngster still has to find his balance with you on his back. The lines will teach him the correct response to the rein aids.

When you do ride, remember he will sometimes want to use his head and neck for balance so you have to be ready to give the rein and take it back if he does. he also has to figure out how to compensate for you on his back. The trick with a young horse is to kind of not interfere with that by keeping yourself centered. And that's not always easy.

I trained Toby in the long lines and then had a trainer do the basic first under saddle work for me. After the first ride, she said, "I thought you said he was green. He feels like a trained horse to me." The steering, stopping, etc. were so good, he was cantering after the second time.

AliG is going to be fantastic and the lining will only help.

cptrayes said...

Sounds like you had fun!

C