Tuesday 24 June 2008

More exciting news!

Had a bit of an unexpected phone call today.
Months ago I bought tickets for Richard Maxwell's demo evening this Friday, he's travelling around the country doing the demo's and this one is about 15miles from us.At the time on his website they were asking for horse's they could use at the demo for Richard to work with and i'd put AliG forward.I'd heard nothing so didnt think anymore of it until I got a call today asking if I could take him to be a demo horse.Nicki said she'd been trying to email me for a week but they kept bouncing(dont know whats happening with it!).I had a flap and panic as I dont have horse transport now but didnt want to miss out on the opportunity either after ringing around ive managed to organised a hire horsebox so we are going!!:)
I also get my ticket money refunded for taking AliG so that will help reduce the cost of the hire so its worked out pretty reasonable.
Im really excited as im a big fan of Richard's work cant wait to see how AliG does..no idea what he'll be doing with him yet..im fit to burst!

Back to 'normal' news now:)
Yesterday I rode both boys,Polo had a hack with the dogs in tow and he was the most settled he's been in ages.I did have a rude comment from the local eventing Doctor,she was trotting up behind me and asked if was ok to trot past,now thats a first (the last time she did it to AliG when he'd only just started hacking by himself and didnt ask!).As she was passing she asked how Polo was going and I said not very well that he'd been lame and I was slowly bringing him into work her parting shot was "try getting some weight off him then" oh I was mad.He's been strip grazed,muzzled,brought in off the grass,has soaked hay what else am I supposed to do I know he's fat but if you cant work a good doer it aint easy to keep the weight down!

I then had a schooling session with AliG he is getting really good at the neck flexions now as they really confused him at first and he kept falling in and trying to do little circles .At first he found the lower one's difficult because he has such a short thick neck but they are coming along great and he's so much more flexible and supple now.
We did some trot work which was good then a little canter towards the end im keeping this short as im still struggling to ride his bouncy canter and dont think its fair to do too much until he's fitter and im riding it better.He most definitely has an opinion on how much work is acceptable and was napping towards the gate near the end but after a few firm corrections he realised he wasnt getting his own way:)

I padded out the other muzzle today so they went back on..AliG was fine about this Polo was not a happy bunny and stood looking sorry for himself while I was about.

3 comments:

Claire said...

WOW! I shall see you there then, with my video camera! I'm paying on the door....didn't get organised enough to do it on line! Shame you've had to pay for transport, I'm sure if I'd known my friend would have brought her wagon up (she's coming anyway ... has had max out for hers 2/3 times...)

cptrayes said...

Oooh exciting!

C

Jean said...

Wow, this is great! The timing couldn't be better either. AliG has reached the point where you need some new insights to push you on in your training.

Will he work him under saddle as well, or just on the ground work? Either way, it's a wonderful opportunity.

Don't feel too bad about the weight comment from Ms. Knowitall. You really have been doing all you can. Easy keepers (good doers) aren't easy to slim down.