Saturday 28 June 2008

Brilliant!

What at night im still recovering.

Started off with the usual going to the wrong place..getting lost....then not being able to find the other Holmside(there are two!)I flagged a bus down at one point after driving around for an hour getting more and more in a panic bus driver didnt know where it was neither did any of the passengers:) Anyway I went up a little lane as a last ditch attempt had all intentions off giving up and going home at that point but luckily it was along that lane so arrived an hour late but still in plently of time for the 7.30pm start.
Max came over had a chat about AliG any problems or issues I told him Ali was pretty issue free but he was difficult to trot up in hand and generally lazy and behind the leg particularly in the school.
He then sent me in a total flap as he said ok we'll start with you so if you tack him up.....GULP!I had brought my tack but didnt expect to ride thinking it would be all focused on groundwork. I manage to splutter that i'd not brought my hat I didnt realise i'd have to ride Max grinned and said you can borrow mine!:0

I was terrified his 2nd trip anywhere with me in in a new place infront of a full audience for us to make fools of ourselves,I had my short boots on which I hate riding in as they are slippy and I hadnt even cleaned my tack!!
My friend walked around to entrance of the arena with us to give us moral support then in we went.
I walked him around to let him have a good look there was a cafe along the side of the arena,lots of people obviously plus a horse in a trailer ready for the loading issue part.
He had a spook down the side as the cafe was a bit noisy and was very up (well up for him)but he took everything in, I could almost feel him thinking and assessing the situation they saying "oh okay then".
Max asked me to explain his history and what I was having problems with for the audience.He then asked me to just work AliG until he got to the point were he was switching off this didnt really take long :)))
I missed alot of what Max was saying as I was trying to forget the audience and just focus on Alig until he'd reached his ive had enough point.
Max then took over and worked AliG on the ground getting him to move his quarters then work on the circle.I realised where ive been going wrong with this as I was jumping in too quickly when AliG was slowing down where as I should have been letting him stop THEN get on his case so is entirely his responsibility to maintain the speed without me niggling on.
Max then did some work getting him to trot up in hand..it was quite funny as he did have Max blowing a fair bit but it was incredible how he achieved it.He did the total opposite to what your mind tells you to do instead of driving him from behind or flicking his side etc he spun the rope at the front while running backwards then Voila AliG was trotting inhand!

Max told me to get back on to do some work on getting AliG really going forwards off the leg.Max gave me a short rope to loop over my wrist then said squeeze with my legs and if he didnt respond flick to rope over three times left to right clipping him behind my leg.Well boy did this wake him up he was positively leaping forward into trot or a bouncy canter we did this several times until a slight touch and he was off...success!:)
That was our bit done so AliG was loaded into the horsebox where he stood like an angel munching his hay while I watched to rest of the demo.

Max did some work with a spooky over reactive horse and explained how he trains these types at home.He said the key is for them to be kidded into thinking they can chase the thing they are scared of away.He starts with a bottle full of stones rattling it then the horse follows it believing it can contol and get scary object to move away he said by the end he has them chasing quads and tractors.He believes repetitions is the key as an example he said the average horse is girthed up a couple of hundred times a year when he has a horse in for starting he will girth walk a circle loosen then girth walk a circle and so on so by the end of 10days the horse has been girthed 250times speeding up the whole learning curve.
He then had a horse which wouldnt load or standstill for mounting by the end the horse was walking over to the mounting block and positioning itself while he was leaning against the wall!

Now I knew Max was good but he's not just good he's absolutely amazing I would love to send Alig down for a couple of weeks I think it would give him the most fabulous education infact i'd love to send them both I would love to see him work with Polo.

Anyway got back to the farm at 12 then home at 1am and had to be back up this morning at 6.30am to return the box so im a tad tired now.
Im delighted with Ali he was totally amazing so sensible and clever he's is going to be a dream horse for sure:))

few pics the ridden ones werent great my phone camera doesnt pic up movement very well......


.


2 comments:

Jean said...

Congratulations. You are so very lucky both to have AliG and to have been able to use him as a demo horse. The trick, as I always say, is to now remember all the techniques and put them into practice on your own.

Max and trainers like him are truly amazing. Their skill at working with problem horses can sometimes simply take your breath away when a horse responds quickly.

I have to work on getting Tucker to jump more off my leg. Not sure what would happen with the rope trick, but I surely do like it. He's a bit slow on the canter departs which will not help with the flying change lessons.

Sending Tucker to Kenny Harlow for training was one of the best things I ever did. If there is any way you can manage to work with Max again, don't miss out. Those lessons are, as you say, best learned with repetition. Hundreds of times does the job.

I am so happy it all worked out so well!! Yea!!

Claire said...

that was, i reckon, the wip wop = it's just a 6' string with a loop.

your video is nearly ready to burn to disc - 1 hour 10 (I cut some!!!)

you're right, your email is down, i just had one bounce!

thinking, is it worth while investigating having max up for a learning day? my yard or yours (I reckon mine, I reckon YO would be fine...)

shall I ask how much? if we can get a few together, so worth while!