Friday 6 June 2008

1st day over and counting.

Oh I love being on holiday the things you can accomplish when work's not getting in the way:))
I had a nice schooling session with AliG today.Spent the first 10/15 mins in walk doing figures of eight,serpentines and circles just using my seat and some of the upper and lower neck flexes Rachel had me working on.He was very good on the right rein but set his neck on the left and was leaning I persisted asking for the flexion and we did eventually get some bend although rather hit and miss.I did cheat and use the corners a fair bit:)
Moved into trot and again he was leaning in on the left lifting the inside rein up and across seemed to help this..no idea if this is correct or a good thing to do but it got results.
He had a boing when all the horse's in the field started fighting and galloping around but that was it no explosion aka Polo.
I asked for a little bit of canter towards the end,I was much improved since my trip to Cornwall as ive been finding his canter really bouncy and difficult to sit to.His strike off's were spot on, im eventually getting my head round the fact unlike Polo he doesnt need a whole lot of preparation and 'help' to go into canter its easy for him.Even when 'I' feel there's not enough impulsion and forwardness he can still spring in effortlessly..im still learning to adapt to the differences.
Had a nice chat to a girl on the yard when I was leaving the school.She and a friend have lessons up a Rock with Peter she said I could have jumped in their wagon but it only takes two! Anyway she mentioned her friend teaches,have seen her riding a gorgeous chestnut who she's produced to medium-advanced herself,so I said i'd pop over and when she's about and book a couple of lessons to get us started.Im still waiting to hear if my paid for lesson will be transfered over hoping to get up there for the July clinic if not August for sure.
She absolutely loved AliG who was standing patiently while we gassed:)

Spoke to vet yesterday(she's been on holiday) I explained my LGL theory she's happy for me to see if I can get him comfortable with reducing his grass intake then go from there.Im hoping to introduce him to light work next week and see how he holds up if things still arent right I'll get back to her.

No horsey news tomorrow im off to Bramham for the day for the XC faze...its brilliant day out,very well organised with lots of shopping to be had so im really looking forward to it although not so keen to be getting up at 6!

6 comments:

Claire said...

enjoy, don't spend too much, see you sunday! which panel? i'll fetch both ...

Jean said...

The inside indirect rein will put him where you want him, but it is not a good aid to use. You really need to use the outside rein to sort of hold him over to the outside, then drive the inside hind leg over to it.

Now, the tricky part is what your seat is doing. If you are sitting to the outside hoping to get him over there, your inside leg is getting shorter. You need your full leg from thigh to heel thinking about kind of "lifting that inside shoulder up and over to the outside." Lockie Richards used to tell me to "drop my inside knee" so I would use that entire leg and my inside seat bone to kind of push the horse's middle and that shoulder to the outside rein. Your weight will go a bit more to the outside seatbone in a different way, encouraging AliG to put himself over there to carry your weight.

You need to keep correct bend with a slightly open, direct inside rein.

It kind of takes a "leap of faith" to get this to work, but it does and has with every horse I've tried it on. Chance would not bend to the right, and would fall in to the right on his right shoulder. When I absolutely focused on staying long on the right he stopped falling in.

Doing it all with an indirect rein will not fix what AliG is actually doing wrong which is not stepping under with his inside hind to carry the weight.

Hope this helps. Always ride to the outside rein.

Claire said...

are you spent up then?

cptrayes said...

"lifting the inside rein up and across seemed to help this.."

Up is no problem, but I'm with Jean, the crossing is to be avoided if possible.

Hope Bramham was fun.

C

Nicola said...

kind of had a feeling when i was doing it there was as reason why I shouldnt be doing it..told you im a training numpty!
I think half the problem is that im struggling to get my leg on him with him being so fat and wide.
I can picture exactly what you mean Jean and i do 'know' this but I have a tendency of changing what im doing a bit too quickly when 'things' arent happening the way i think they should!

Didnt spend too much there wasnt as many bargains as usual..probably the credit crunch.
Its the first year ive gone and its not been blazing sunshine..it was warm but muddy as it had rained the night before.

Watched some of the show jumpers warm up and aLOT of it wasnt pretty lots of heads strapped down in drawreins how the heck does that help a horse jump?
Tim Stockdale was there he was a totally different kettle of fish quietly working away doing some steady warming up and lateral work.
Still a good day out.

Claire said...

the other half of her problem she will tell you about later....