Tuesday 17 June 2008

Belated happy birthday Buster!

Was Buster's 1st birthday yesterday:)
Show was good he got second and apparently we were robbed for first as the dog that beat him wasnt a patch on him(not my opinion few people came and commented to me).The official photographer came over and said she loved him,reckon there'll be a good chance his photo will be in the Border Terrier book for next year:))
I'd moved him up to Junior even though he could have still done the puppy class, by one day, after his class we went back to the benches to give Mouse a brush when a woman came running over to say he should be in the ring challenging for best pup.Although he was in Junior because he was under one year he was still an unbeaten pup but I didnt know this and wasnt called by the steward time I got there it was too late!
Seemed to cause bit of an uproar as the lady who'd noticed we should have been back in had told the ring steward and he wasnt interested and still didnt call us,if he had Peter(breeder) was sitting ringside and he could have told him to wait while he came for me.This lady was causing uproar over it as she said its always the same if your not a well known face they arent interested I was disappointed as that was his last chance to go for best pup but was too late to do anything.
Peter reckons Buster's creating quite a stir and the 'right' people are noticing and talking about him, I do keep thinking its luck but I suppose two first,one second and one fourth at champ shows says different!:)

Anyway havent done much horsey stuff as last night my colleague phoned in sick I ended up covering her waking night so after an 17hour shift didnt have the energy to do anything today.Monday I took AliG in the school and had a crack at the pole work been a while since we've done that he was good although slightly distracted by the foal...what is it with that foal?!?!
The muzzles are still on and although im waiting to the weekend to weight tape then to see how much they've lost I can tell they've definitely lost weight.Its been a bit of a fight to get the muzzle in Polo the last two days as he's objecting now but cruel to be kind and all that!

4 comments:

cptrayes said...

You said right from when he was born that you knew he was a good dog - you obviously weren't wrong. You must be so proud of him :-)))

C

Jean said...

Yea, Buster! He is one special boy. Perhaps all your recognition from the "outside" world will make the "insiders" begin to realize you are not someone to be ignored on the show grounds.

Wouldn't that be great if the politics turned your way just because Buster is a really top dog??

Nicola said...

I did have a feeling about him but I go by my heart so its difficult to know for sure..everyone thinks their pets are the best at the end of the day:)
I am really proud you can get an occasional good placing with the odd judge but to be racking them up is very difficult particularly when your not a big name.
Im a little worried the politics will come into things further down the line.Its complicated but basically the mum of Peter's stud dog(Buster's dad) was sold with a verbal agreement she wasnt to be bred from.
She was given to my departed farmer friend by her original owners as they were emigrating who didnt mention this stipulation and as farmers do he bred her several times.
The breeder of this bitch is a big name breeder and judge and Peter said was pretty annoyed to find he had a pup from the bitch.Up to then he was getting good placings with Buster's dad but has struggled since then...
Hopefully this wont affect us!

Claire said...

well it isn't luck, nicola! I'm no expert on Borders, but i do think I know a good dog when I see one ...think I said my ex friend breeds them. so onwards and upwards. shame about the best pup, though!