Friday 16 November 2007

TIME!

Where does it go? Been really busy this week work it still tough at the minute im working with someone who basically cant do the job so im carrying her which isnt easy when there's only 3of us on in the evening,one being male so he cant help with the girls.So had lots of meetings about it all this week as management have realised they've made a big mistake but are obviously worried about how to get out of it without being taken to a tribunal and me getting fed up and going on the sick:))

Anyway enough moaning and excuses as to why ive not updated or kept track of everyone this week.
The big news is AliG's splint was hot at the beginning of the week,just when I'd started riding him again so ive made the decision to give him a full 4weeks off...no long reining ..nothing but complete rest.Maybe coincidence but he's been difficult picking his front feet up again so im not going to push things.I'd love him to be rideable during my two weeks off a Christmas so reckon if I give him full rest I should be able to start long reining him for a week or two then be riding him little while im off.He was totally unconcerned when I got back on him last week (was it?)after having only been long reining for a while so im happy he isnt going to do anything silly so thats the state of play with him!

Polo's been ridden 3/4 times this week he didnt feel quite right on Wednesday and my gut feeling was he was a bit footy so I put his front boots on today and mmm well yes it was his feet!He was hyper..hyper managed to throw in quite a hefty buck while cantering 'up' a pretty steep hill,any ideas when horse's are meant to start slowing down?:))
I think the footiness its because there's been a fair bit of rain this week but we'll see.
Our lot are still out at the minute they come in for a couple of hours in the morning so Polo can have his sleep:) and are ready to ride. M said yesterday just as she was about to bring them in the horse's from the yard near us were being turned out so Polo decided it wasnt time to coming in a proceeded to gallop around with Ali in tow(I know I said rest!!)...I sometimes wonder who's the youngster!
I cant remember there being this much grass in November before,poo's are still green and they barely touch the hay when they come in,we havent bothered opening the haylage yet.They are looking gleaming and rather too chubby on a small feed of unmolassed sugar beet,alfalfa and Eclipse(linseed/brewers yeast/seaweed)..they've both had the loading dose of Cortaflex now so hope this helps with Polo's joints and AliG's splint.Polo's got some magnetic boots im wondering if they could help with Ali's splint?Could easily swop them between the two...

BTW whats happening on the 5th Claire?

4 comments:

Jean said...

The magnetic boots might help AliG. If you do decide to use, them, don't leave them on for more than 12 hours at a time.
Do you put protective boots on him for turnout? If not, that too would be a good idea as I'd suspect he probably gave himself a knock on the splint.

At least he's young, so losing the time working him is not too critical.

As for how old before they settle down? My old guy, PJ, at 26 could still get pretty revved up on a ride if something exciting happened. I had to get off him and lead him home once even at that advanced age, and he had a heart condition and ringbone.

If Polo is frisky now, I'm guessing he is just going to stay frisky. Have fun! *G*

Claire said...

emma (kassidy on EE) is coming up to give me a lesson - won it at auction, she rashly said "within 2 hours of sheffield" and i am in fact within 2 hours of sheffield.

do you want to come watch/operate the camcorder etc? it's a wednesday...

Nicola said...

////If Polo is frisky now, I'm guessing he is just going to stay frisky. Have fun! *G*////
Drat was hoping he'd wake up one day and be a chilled reformed character:)) (yeah right i'd only get bored!)

Polo usually gets his boots on when he comes in for 5ish hours I can put them on Ali too for a while.
I dont boot up for turn out not something ive ever done..im not really a boot them up kind of person other than travelling and the magnetic ones which are there for a different reason,might be an idea with Ali's leg though.
My gut feeling is the splint developed due to a combination of his feet being so out of balance with the heels being horrendously high then working on the harder ground.Even though we did practically everything in walk the shape of his feet probably caused additional stress on his legs..easy to say in hindsight!:(


Probably be at work Claire I do split shifts mon to fri..what time?
Was watching more of the Richard Maxwell dvd last night..boy does he make long reining look so easy! There is a little tubby pony who refuses to move or work if he's put under pressure..Richard seems to have the patience of a saint he didnt start hassling the pone just waiting it out,very funny and cute!

Claire said...

about 11.

Max is excellent ... you'll have read i had him out - had the DVD first, but knew I wasn't quite getting it!

time to watch it again, I think....