Tuesday 6 November 2007

Someone's feeling better!

Polo that is,rode him yesterday and saying he was fresh is putting it mildly,he wasnt spooky just wanted to GO !We went out with 'his' chick Ellie we had a steady trot on the way out along the edge of a field then went around the Brickworks,not a hugely long ride but works out about an hour.On the way back we usually turn up and canter a small hill then along the grass verge.Im my own worst enemy at times cos he's the type of horse that anticipates then gets over excited but I cant help myself(Hehe).So off he shoots with an attempt to buck which I could feel coming so stopped then I 99% gave him his head with Ellie snorting after him,I couldnt completely let him go as the stretch of grass isnt that long but he didnt half enjoy it!:)
One brilliant thing about him is he always stops when I want him to and will stay back in a steady canter if another horse is taking off out of control.

Today it was AliG's turn so he was long reined to the arena then had a short lunging session.I used the two reins with the outside one over his back and found that so much better(been reading Jean's methods).I havent done a huge amount of lunging or long reining but did prefer to use two then always ended up taking the outside rein off as it was hard to keep it from dropping too low down the hocks,this way worked great though.The control and contact was much better,never thought I'd say this but im really enjoying all this ground work malarky!:)
I then got on for a while and he was fine a bit distracted by all the horse's hanging around the school but no problem.
Muriel asked if AliG was a dominant type i'd say most definately with other horse's(not sure how much of this is due to lingering hormones yet)I would say he has the potential to be with people but A) he's had such a good start his manners are excellent:)) and B)im quite dominant naturally so would hope he wouldnt try it.
Lots of people have had problems handling Polo in the past and when I turn up butter wouldnt melt so think its simply my nature to be like.But on the other hand I have to watch myself not to use dominance and force or be over the top.My old instructor says most people he taught had to be encouraged to be more assertive where as with me I have a tendancy to over do things!

Off topic from the boys..why cant I keep my gob shut?!I get on really well with Eliie's owner, today however I reckon I huffed her a bit but I find it so hard to keep quiet.She's the very fat coloured cob who also happens to have ringbone!Anyway owner treats her like a thin skinned TB, rugging up at the hint of rain or cold etc.Anyway I was hanging over her stable chatting as she was getting her ready to go out and saw her putting these EquiChaps on Ellie.I asked why she was putting them on..reply "to keep her legs warm" :0..well I couldnt stop myself exclaiming "but this is why she's always so fat and the weight is doing far more damage to her joints than her being COLD".
I feel bad now cos im sure I was too sharp but the mare is HUGE and M is always worrying about the weight and feeling insulted when people comment on her size or she does poorly at a show.All summer she'll ask for advice on how to get the weight off but then wont allow the horse do what is natural for her and use the fat up to stay warm in the colder months.AHHH it seems so obvious!But note to self if she mentions weight say "you know my opinion" and then firmly bite tongue.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Glad to hear the "over the back" technique worked well. It always makes me nervous to run the lines behind the hocks as I see in so many pictures.

I actually enjoy the ground work too. Wish my knees were better so I could do some of it more seriously, but that is not to be. I loved watching the masters of the Spanish Riding School work the horses in long lines. Fantastic.

Polo feeling good must be quite a thrill. And if he has brakes that's even better. I've always felt being able to stop a horse was one of the most important elements of training. Being run off with is not fun at all. *Sigh*

Hopefully the girl with the fat horse will take some of your intentions to heart. Horses do need to just be horses sometimes if they are going to stay happy and healthy.

Muriel said...

Well I knew you were "dominant" ^-^ with a horse like Polo ...

I am not agressive or dominant, however I am a stickler about education and good manners. that is why I do not accept bullying.
*I* will get very assertive if I think a horse is being rude LOL
I expect very good manners, much more than the others English riders in my barn ... Western riders are more assertive, and keep horses on their toes ... sometimes without much thoughts !

cptrayes said...

///One brilliant thing about him is he always stops when I want him to and will stay back in a steady canter if another horse is taking off out of control.////

How odd - that doesn't fit with the rest of his personality at all does it???

C

Claire said...

oh dear, but it had to be said....this sounds like the problem ludlu had when she went to animal sit, owners killing with kindness (although this isn't as extreme...).

you could point out that alig coming from a hot country doesn't need the rugging? so hers certainly won't?

Nicola said...

Caroline thats the thing about Polo he's a mass of contradictions!

I wouldnt say im aggressive as such,hey ive worked with kids for 15years many with behaviours you wouldnt believe, so if I havent belted one of them by now Im not doing too badly.:)
But i take no s@#t and have very clear boundaries both at work and with horses.
Polo is a pleasure to handle i can sit on a stool to trim him,clip him untied,he never pulls or stands on you when leading.He does try it on with other people at times but it's usually when he's in excitement mode,hormonal or scared...or when he knows they are scared. He's given me a giggle with this one a few times(i know im wicked).
All,and i mean ALL, of my horsey friends have said they'd have given up and had him shot if he was their own. I honestly think this would have been his fate if i hadnt got him. Not that im implying im a great handler or rider(im cr#p actually!) just a tenacious so &so.
My OH actually likens me to a Pitbull,small but relentless...not v flattering eh:)
Its the same at work after a few weeks i have very little trouble from the kids i think its very much down to expectations and attitude.
I just wish i could rein myself in sometimes.

Claire its so true the horse has been massively overweight for most her life(620+kg at15hands) which is bound to have contributed towards the joint problems but owner thinks she's being cruel not putting a rug on cos its might rain.
She actually drove up to the farm at 3am one morning to put the horses in because it was raining heavy..this was in hot humid August!
It just defies all logic and has me baffled but ive tried and made my opinion clear on a number of occasions so need to keep my mouth shut or we'll end up falling out.

Claire said...

"She actually drove up to the farm at 3am one morning to put the horses in because it was raining heavy..this was in hot humid August!"

speechless....

maybe next time I come for a visit i could put my wellington boot (foot) into it? i've got a nice line in that...