Wednesday 31 October 2007

Yikes its blowing a gale!

Wow its really windy today,the plan was to go in the school but when we went over it was booked for lessons all morning so we went out for a hack instead. Now Polo isnt usually any spookier in the wind but it was more than windy today so I wasnt entirely confident we'd return at the same time:0
Marina said why not go around the fields (Ali's long reining fields) so I was feeling even less optimistic,open fields usually = several bucks and taking off ,but I said we'd give it a go.He was on his toes for the first 5/10mins but didnt feel like he was in spook mode so we ended up having a nice ride we had a good long trot which always helps settle him,I did feel like I was going to get blown off him at one point though;)
AliG had a relaxing day,im toying with having a short ride in the school on him on Friday but still not sure if its a bit too soon, the splint is a fair size and although Jo thought it was slightly smaller yesterday she reckoned it looked like it had 'changed' shape slightly if that makes sense?

Buster's little coat came this morning the girls have one for when its cold and they get locked in the stable when I ride..i'll have to take a picture they are like mini horse rugs and look so cute!

7 comments:

Claire said...

how bizarre. no wind at all just outside durham at the yard, and whilst it was a bit breezy on the Tees at work, no gales...

Jean said...

Sometimes the wind is less unnerving to the horses because everything's moving instead of just the "monsters in the bushes."

Aside from almost getting blown off Polo's back--I have to admit, that'd be a new one to me--sounds like a good ride.

I've seen splints change shape too, but I have no idea what that means. If there is absolutely no heat and he's sound, it may well be that the blemish will stay as it is and just "be there." The only problems happen if he hits himself there and makes it sore.

Can you ask your vet about it?

Muriel said...

Linda is quite good in the wind OUTSIDE, but inside she goes bonkers because she hears but cannot see ...

I woudl love to see the rug coat. I bought a WeatherBeeta one for my Mum's Yorkshire Terrier (dwarf size).

I woudl love to see some pics please ...

cptrayes said...

I'd ride him if he's not lame Nicola. The lump will do what it's going to do until it reaches maximum size, and then it will take a whole year to remodel itself to as small as it's ever going to be. They can disappear completely because most of the size is not bone it's just inflammation.

I know the dog rugs you mean but we have to have a picture of people in them!

C.

Nicola said...

Yeah I am swaying towards riding him in the school a couple of times a week(if i can get in that is!) and continue the long reining,that way he'll be doing the work with me on him on the more forgiving surface.
He hasnt been obviously lame on it but he was becoming reluctant to walk out,since he's had the time off then the long reining he def been more forward going.
He seriously looking bored now so I reckon a couple of short sessions in the school wont do any harm.

I'll get some pics tomorrow of the munchkins in their ickle coats;)The only problem with them is they wont run around in them so i only putting them on when they get locked in.

Nothing happening today stayed at work till 1pm today so that meant I could have tonight off (hardly any kids in this week-yippy!)...fed and thats its really.

Nicola said...

Sorry Jean forgot the vet bit!I asked her when she came out for Polo last time and she said rest atleast until there's no heat in it.I cant feel any in it now its just the size of it and the change in the shape that has made me want to wait.
I had a read up and some were saying 3months rest, I reckon thats from when it first flare's up his just seemed to appear out of nowhere!I my defence for missing it in the beginning was I had alot going on with Polo's accident..{ahem}
The long reining has been at walk so it cant have done anymore damage than him running around the field so will see how he goes with some light work under saddle.

Claire said...

get back on him, nicola, you know you want to..