Saturday 20 October 2007

Were does the time go!?!?

I havent updated since Monday!

All these extra hours at work and having two horse's doesnt leave much time for anything else at the moment...and im feeling pretty tired.But im off for a whole week now so that should give me time to get some decent nights sleep and rest ,well thats the theory ive got some decorating I want to do while im off;)



Rode Polo several times this week,one day in the school.He felt a bit rubbish and stiff so I did loads of walking,leg yield,turn on he forehand etc to start with then a bit of trot work.He spotted a tiny plastic bag blowing around outside the school so started fixating on this trying to shoot off up the school!'Killer bag' eventually landed in the school I let him sniff it (with much snorting) but he continued to spook at it so I did lots of circles around the 'killer bag' gradually getting him closer and still working in a semi-sane way,without him trying to shoot away.So in the end he worked longer and hard than i'd intended but I figure if he can spin and shoot up the school he's not feeling that bad!



Had a longish hack on him yesterday all in walk,we came up a steep hill heading towards home and as usual Polo powered his way up.Im a bit confused actually as the vet reckoned he'd struggle with hills as he'd have to use his hocks didnt seem like they were causing him any pain thoug ,he's on one bute every other day now so not a huge dose that would make him seem better than he is I dont reckon?



Today I rode Polo first,my brother came with my dogs and his GSD.Minx and Mouse were very excited as they havent been out with Polo for ages,Buster stayed on the lead with my brother as this was his first 'proper' going out with the horse.We went into the fields where I long rein AliG then down a lane which leads you to a track which runs between two field.I rode down the track on Polo (with Minx and Mouse following) told my brother to turn back half way as we'd canter back up to the top.Its a really good canter place for Polo as he's enclosed on either side by a hedge so no spooking a shooting sideways across an open field,which is his usual course of action!:0

Well as soon as I turned Polo he leapt up off all fours,head down and bucked,obviously sensing the gallop opportunity,I pulled his head up grabbed a lump of mane and kicked him on.He took off like a bat out of hell ,I had to scream at my brother to get out of the way as we were up on him so quickly I thought we'd mow him down.Polo usually has excellent brakes but today he was just off, pity the track wasnt longer or I could have let him go properly;)

He was very on his toes after but walked home reasonably sensibly,it wasnt what i'd intended as im 'trying' to build him back up but he obviously feels good enough in himself and wants more fun..none of this 'walking' malarky:))))



AliG hasnt done a huge amount this week as ive had no-one to help me longrein him but he got his feet trimmed and was ALOT better behaved.The trimmer said he has fantastic,hard feet with lots of concavity but the heels have come back up a bit so im going to keep taking them down every couple of weeks so they dont bounce back up inbetween trims.

AliG had a longreining session today,we are both really enjoying it!He was feeling rather fresh so we had two short trots which was fun,im just pleased he doesnt trot like Polo or i'd never keep up:0.A bird flew out on him when we were having the second trot which could have been dodgy but he never spins just does a semi stop then carrys on.I reckon he's going to be a very brave boy to hack out on as he really 'thinks' about things and doesnt just react plus all this longreining is bound to give him lots of confidence in being out by himself(not that I think that was ever going to be an issue with him).



They are both out without their rugs on as its been a lovely sunny day but im going back up late to put them on as its really cold over night.

7 comments:

cptrayes said...

Bad hocks show downhill and are better uphill Nicola, that'll explain it. The bute will help too - Tetley is much bigger than Polo but one a day is a complete cure for him.

Have fun on your week away from work.

C

Claire said...

really cold now....we drove past yours today, but didn't have time to think about stopping...

Muriel said...

It is WINTER today. It even snowed ;-) a few flakes ...
Brrr the Italians are taking their fur-coat out ^-^

Good for AliG... you are geeting bored with him. Would you like to swap him for a nevrotic mare in bad weather ?
No?

Nicola said...

Errrr let me think about that one... NO Muriel:))) one lunatic is enough thanks.

Doh thick Nicola...we did walk down the steps and he seemed ok there too?
Anyway probably a week on the bute every other day then will cut it down to half every other day then see how he goes.

Jean said...

I've known a few horses who simply forget about their pain when they get excited. Emotion takes charge.

All the longlining should be excellent for AliG's training. I started my Toby that way and the riding part was far easier because of it.

Muriel said...

OÏ, Dove sei? Que tu fais?

Any news on this blog yet?
^-^

Claire said...

i was thinking that too, muriel - nicola, you have to find something to say!