Sunday 30 September 2007

All Quiet on the Eastern Front.

Think I over did it yesterday so didnt do too much horsey stuff today.

Yesterday I rode out with my friend who's horse has just returned after being away 'somewhere' getting some work while she was on holiday,Polo was a good lad.Even though he has his hang ups he's very forward going so nearly always ends up leading.My friend's horse has a thing about the donkeys at the bottom of our lane so she ended up having to get off and lead him past them Polo aint keen but he trusts me enough to go past most things, usually with a bit of snorting mind;)
I poo picked the field,scrubbed and hosed out Polo's stable and mats, trimmed his feet,which are looking fab BTW(he actually has proper frogs now!) then did AliG's feet that proved to be a bit more difficult.He's such a sod about picking up his front feet he 'knows' what I want he gets this stubborn look in his face and no matter what I do he just will not pick them up.
Ive resorted to moving him back and forwards then picking them up as he moves, so what did he do??well he was refusing to move full stop!
After much sweating and straining I could feel myself starting to get mad so out came the Richard Maxwell rope halter.I did a few mins schooling,backing him up then coming forwards immediately or the pressure would go on he got the idea pretty quickly,I then went back to getting him to step towards me and picked his leg up first time!GRR
AliG's feet were all over the place when he came, high heels,small smelly frogs and lots of flare on his outside hinds so I think foot care hasnt been something he's had a lot of but he picks his hind feet up straight away so dont know why he's as awkward with his front feet?
I then went out for a Chinese meal for my Dad's birthday it was gorgeous but I had a stinking migraine at this point so just wanted to get home and lie down in a dark room:(
Incidentally one of the waitresses was showing eveyone pics from her phone of some Eastenders actors who'd been in earlier, they were up to do the Great North Run which was today...Max was one of them.

Today I went to visit my friend who's just had a baby boy then went to the stables.Poo picked field and brushed the boys then my Dad came to see AliG for the first time,he was very impressed with him and needless to say Polo got plenty of attention,my Dad's a huge fan of Polo!
Claire then arrived for a visit so more attention and fuss for the boys AND dogs who jumped in Claire's car.AliG was getting rather cocky with it all and became a bit mouthy but I reckon thats mainly his age and those little lingering hormones,I move him away from me when he does this.Ive got to be carefull to not allow him away with this, Polo is very cuddly and in your face for affection but he never has a nip but Ali is a lot younger and still learning the ropes.
Felt a bit rough from the migraine and couldnt face riding so fed and turned them out..it was a lovely day so sheets back off,hard to know what to do for the best at times the weather's so up and down!

I then made Sunday dinner,did the most terrifing pile of ironing then hoover and cleaned..see I AM superwoman;)


Ps Claire do you have my email to send me those pics?

6 comments:

Claire said...

email - yes, got it from EE, unless you've changed it?

and a thought - clicker training? that might well work getting the front feet up!

Jean said...

Ouch about the migraine. My sympathy. It's one sure way to spoil the day.

If the Ranitidine works it may take a few days. Remember too that it is just an acid inhibitor and will not really cure any ulcers that might be there. Did you research the dosage on the Internet at all?

If Polo does change his attitude, there is a site where you can get a generic version of the Ulcergard/Gastrogard. http://www.ponymeds.com/ I bought some, but will not use it until I have given Tucker 20 doses of the horribly expensive stuff.

Naughty boy, AliG and his feet. When a horse decides to plant a hoof on the ground it's practically impossible to pick it up. I'm sure you'll sort it out pretty fast and he'll be a star about it.

I'd tell a horse meets donkey story of my own, but I'll save it. Suffice it to say I'm not sure any of my horses would pass a donkey field peacefully. *G*

cptrayes said...

Does Ali offer to groom you back when you put a rug on him? I have to tap Zip's nose otherwise the teeth come out and start givign me a friction burn!

C.

Nicola said...

Jean
I could only get two packets(thats all they had left on the shelf) so kind of just gave him 6 then 6 the next day..was abit of a guess but prob not enough really.Will work it out a bit more accurately going for more tomorrow.

Claire.I was thinking of clicker training but to be honest I dont think ive got the patience!
I know thats naughty but i kind of want him to do what i want.. when I want.I think with this little stubborn streak that he has ive got to make it clear who's running the show early or it'l leak into everything we do,not very EE i know!He knows what I want him to do but choses not to do it will a 'look' in his eye.
But if he keeps it up and repetition doesnt work i'll give it a try:)

He just tries to put his face in everything you do Caroline, I cant put anything down in the stable or its in his gob.He picked up a full bag of shavings the other day swinging them around..they weigh a ton so he's bloody strong!

Claire said...

well, at least you know who to turn to when you want the bag of shavings emptied..... LOL!

did you get the photos?

Nicola said...

No didnt get any pics..which email did you send them to my blueyonder?