Friday 21 September 2007

Oops Ali again..its not favouritism honest!

Didnt ride anyone yesterday was just too tired but I did get round to finishing Ellies clip who then stood on Buster(pup)..he's fine just cut his pad a bit.It was his own fault he has no respect for the horse's typical man really! I dont remember having to tell Minx or Mouse to move or watch quite so often around the horses when they were little..he a stunning pup though I have high hopes for him showing.

I had every intention of riding both boy's today but I got soaked through riding Ali and couldnt face going back out in it on Polo..im sure Polo doesnt mind ;))
We went out with Ellies new fan and rode along the track then all the way back along the main road out about an hour.He so chilled about the traffic the only thing that slightly scared him was a wagon thundering along towards us at the narrow part of the road but all he did was plant his feet for a moment.Passed another couple of wagons,a bus and a weird tractory thing,J just asked for them to slow down a bit and he didnt flacker so im really pleased..Polo panic's big time at the larger vehicles.He walked really well today too so im wondering whether to ride him every other day now,he seems settled and doesnt get silly if you miss a day so think a recovery day might work well for his young body and mind.
Plus that makes things easier for me not trying to ride two horse's on the same day,its difficult to squeeze everything in when you work full time at such weird hours, have dogs to see to.. oh yes and a hubby you bump into occasionally!;)

Sheets are going on tonight with all this rain..Summer is most definately over!

6 comments:

Jean said...

I "feel your pain," as I have 3 to ride. None today as I had a migraine.

Note on the ulcer thing. The biggest problem is that the medicine is so very expensive.

You can get Ulcergard without prescription and use the whole tube which is the equivilent of the prescription Gastrogard. (same company, same drug) Still, we're talking over $30US a tube and you need to use it for a month daily.

Scoping the horse does not always show the ulcers either, so going the vet route might or might not find them. From all I've researched is really pretty safe so it's OK to give it as a precautionary treatment as I am doing.

Muriel said...

Yep, being a owner of two horses, I find it difficult to ride well two. Honestly.

That is another reason I am selling Morgan. Even being a Stay-At-Home-sitting-On-my-Bum-Mum, I find it hard to have enough time AND energy for two And it became soon a chore.

I am aiming to ONE horse-woner only LOL

AliG for a such young horse sounds like a DREAM.

Regarding his gait he may loosen up, but it is the breeding or collection VS extension.
Polo was bred to extend I.e swinging walk, ground covering trot, canter hmmm must be interesting LOL.
That AliG was bred for collected move, spin, roll back etc ... what you need for working cattle.

AliG sounds like an angle ;-D

Claire said...

did the longlining not happen?

Nicola said...

Hope your feeling better Jean! I get migraine's occasionally they aint nice.
There are some special horse supplements for ulcers on the market are there none in your neck of the woods?would that not work out cheaper or they not as effective as the human stuff?Im really interested in how things will develop for Tucker.

Two to ride is a bit of a juggling act at the mo but we are trying to pursuade YO to let us build a field shelter.If that happens i'll winter my two out which will save me all the mucking out so should leave me more time.
Im working on the idea of alternating during the week then riding both at weekends.

Yes Muriel the difference in the breeding is huge..Polo is all about power and going forward,he has a lovely canter suprisingly but I did do lots of work on this.But he def finds bending, collecting and working in an outline very hard!
Alig's canter is fabulous!I sometimes think he is so slow out hacking because he's a bit lazy:) but also because he's so amazed at the big world outside and just taking it all in.

My friend didnt get down Thursday Claire,she just found out she's pregnant so i'll let her off with it:)Def something I want to try with him though.

Jean said...

The ulcer medications you feed do not heal the ulcer as the Gastrogard does. (Prioslec for humans.) U-Guard, a good feed product only protects against ulcers by controlling the excess acid. Same with Zantac.

The Omeprazole in Gastrogard is the key. Found some generic which is less expensive but I won't put him on that until at least 20 doses of the Ulcergard. The name brand stuff has a proven track record. Hopefully, the generic will be as good as claimed on the website for the last 10 doses and maintenance afterwards.

Claire said...

Nicola, I've been long lining molly so could come?

next weekend I'm going to Keswick Saturday, coming back Sunday as early as I can get away - could call? not totally sure about time - but more than happy to. and I want to meet you/your horses anyway.

pm/email via EE ...

and where do you get simple systems round here? or do you have to order it from them?