Wednesday 26 September 2007

Interesting...

Well I rode AliG and Jo rode Polo today and guess what Ali was slow again!
I think my theory of riding him every other day is spot on,I reckon his body needs that day recovery inbetween.Not that he's getting hard work in any respect but he is getting approx an hour hack with some trotting and cantering and the hills nearly kill him ;) It's possibly a mixture of both physically and mentally challenging for him I suppose due to his previous work all being arena based.
Im happy with that he is absolutely fine if you miss riding him for a couple of days and I did want to reduce his work to give him a break without turning him away completely so i'll see how he goes on that plan.
Bless him he's been broken,gelded and made two long trips within quite a short space of time and took it all in his stride.

Jo loved Polo,he was a good boy for her only a couple of mini shy's(well he couldnt possibly do none!)the YO had apparently tried to put her off riding him as he's sooo DANGEROUS but she said he was the best out of the bunch including Ellie!She was delighted at how he strides along without any leg and how sensitive he is to the leg,a touch and he moves over.Her boy needs constant pushing on so it must have felt refreshing for her.We had a trot and I had to tell her to take a contact or he'd be off along the lane a 100miles an hour,she couldnt believe how big and swinging his trot is!
The WOW saddle was a hit too;)

They both have their sheets with no filling on tonight ,its absolutely balic outside
reckon the middle weights are going have to go on soon if it keeps up!

Claire I couldnt find that page?

7 comments:

Jean said...

AliG continues his charming ways. I love horses like that!

And Polo certainly wasn't a bad boy either. Mini shies aside...that is...well, shies kind of do go aside. *G*

A nice forward going horse is a real treat when you are used to slowpokes. Sounds as if Jo had a great time. See how our horses can prove themselves when given the chance?

Still HOT here. Not at all the usual September weather. My horses would swelter in sheets. Don't know if I want the cold, but cool would be nice.

Muriel said...

Oh Have you got a WOW saddle? I have one for sale, if you knwo anybody interested.

The weather is very cold too. Big drop.

If AliG was a Quarter horse, he will be working hard every day getting ready for a futurity show. So He woudl build up to more work.
But you are definetely right to take it easy, babies ought to be babies.
He has time for working much harder ;-)

Claire said...

i think caroline's doing the same with the zipster... not every day.

will go look for that page again.

did you see my post about sunday/longlining?

Claire said...

the page is there. to get to it, place your cursor at the beginning of the link i've given you and control + end, then edit/copy, then paste into your address bar - should get it. the full address isn't showig in the space available, but is there if you do it that way as i've just discovered.

cptrayes said...

I don;t ride Zip every day (although I might now he isn't out at all, just to keep him sane, but only for another week or so). Nicola I think an hour is a long hack for a three year old - but hten I can't do one without hills and I've no idea how much work Ali's actually doing.

Hot! We are in full winter rugs!!

C

Nicola said...

He's not doing huge amounts most of its at walk with short trots and the odd canter.The trouble is if I want to get onto the bridleways I have to go a little bit further otherwise he would be only getting along the road and back which isnt very stimulating and I want him to see different things.The hills arent anything like yours Caroline a slight incline in comparison!:))
The thing is he was reasonably fit when he came but it was schooling type fitness which I think is completely different to hacking fitness if that makes sense.

Muriel i have a WOW for Polo, a Fhoenix for me:) and I bought the treed saddle Ali was working in at Rachel's because it was comfortable, a lovely fit and very nice to school in! Polo likes the WOW my preference would be the fhoenix for hacking but Polo was getting very grumpy when tacking him up ..hence the WOW.Im hanging onto to the Fhoenix for now, going to see how Ali goes in it for hacking.

Sorry claire didnt see you post about Sunday..im about all day so if you want to pop along let me know what sort of time etc and I'll give you directions.

They are still in their sheets tonight, i'd like them to lose a bit of weight they both have rather big round tums so a bit of shivering should help but the sheets keep the rain off their backs.

Didnt ride either today all this overtime is catching up with me,ive done 40+ extra hours in the last 3weeks on top of my usual 40hours so feeling a bit drained this week.

cptrayes said...

It exhausts me just to read what you do! I think you are right about getting to the bridleways. He's not going to learn much except how to get bored with being ridden otherwise.I agree with you, you can school in canter for ages but somehow it just doesn't compare with the fitness that they get from hacking out. I have no idea why.

C.