Sunday 16 September 2007

Hack's all round.

Rode three today my two and my friends mare as she's away on holiday for a week.

Polo first,rode out with the YO wasnt sure what he'd be like cos its so windy and he's only just coming back into work after his incident with the fence but he was really good.He doesnt tend to be any spookier in the wind strangely enough ..if he's gonna spook he'l spook regardless so I just tend to ride him but he's been out of work for over a month so I was pleased.He's not entirely sound but I think his side is still a bit sore so we walkedall the way into the village and back, out about an hour.The vet said movement is good to get any last bits of infection out so im not being cruel riding him when he's not 100% honest, plus he's been piling the weight on!

Ellie next,she's a coloured cob and is the best fun ever I grin the whole time I ride her.She's just a joy,really tries for you is totally safe but get her going a bit and she goes bounce.. bounce in a totally sane way, I love her!
She's got a show in a couple of weeks but is a extremely good doer and is huge at the moment so im trying to get her out this week while her owner is away on holiday.

Finally I tried AliG out on his first hack by himself.He hasnt done any hacking before he came to me so that's what ive been concentrating over the last 3weeks but he's been out in company up to now so I wanted to see what he'd do without another horse.
Up to now he's been pretty unflappable but im very conscious he's only 3 and ive already got one spooky horse and dont want to scare him so my brother came out with his dog for back up.Ali got a little bit hyper when some horses started galloping around a field we passed but settled quickly and didnt put a foot wrong the rest of the way.

Im going to have a go at long reining him out by himself this week ..I desperately want a confident horse who stands on his own 'four' feet and think this could really help.
My friend works at a stud and has done lots of long reining so im going to see her tomorrow to ask if she'l help me the first couple of times to get us going.

The only thing im finding really difficult to adjust to between Ali and Polo is the walk,Polo strides out and powers along but Ali feels so slow..well he is slow.The YO cob is extremely slow and Ali is travelling at the same speed!
Im hoping long reining will help this too but any other tips to improve this would be much appreciated as im finding it a bit tiring keeping him going.

5 comments:

Claire said...

yay,! HI nicola

word of advice - i don't recommend longreining out until you're totally confident about him in ... remember molly's accident in May?

but you're right should be a good way of getting him used to everything, especially england! LOL.

was going to try and come and see you a couple of weeks ago, but ended up having to take my mother to kendal (loveley! no....)

off to add you to my list of favourits...

Jean said...

Too bad Polo is so silly because ponying (leading) a young horse from a good quiet horse is another option. That's how Kenny Harlow took my Tucker out on rides for the first time or two. (I think it was more of a drag Tucker out protesting and trying to buck, but it worked anyhow.)

The mare sounds great! I am hoping my Chance will become that kind of hack. I love to just go out without worrying about what's around the next corner.

Muriel said...

Oh it sounds like AliG is from a working line. they are more "cold headed". You do not want your horse to spook at leaves when working cattle all day ...LOL

The corrida lines are more sensitive and very hot.

Nicola said...

My friend is coming Thurs to help me longrein .I def wouldnt try it for the first time without her.She's backed more horse's than ive had hot dinners and deals with stallions daily so we're in good hands.She agrees it should help getting him to walk out and it'll help him be independent.My yard mate will walk out with me in the future if I feel its helping and he takes to it.
Just let me know when you in the area Claire and pop in!

I def wouldnt lead Ali from Polo :)...dont think he'd have a hope of keeping up anyway, Polo really powers along.

Your prob right Muriel I'll find out from Rachel!

cptrayes said...

"any other tips to improve this would be much appreciated as im finding it a bit tiring keeping him going"

One thing only I'd say - don't nag. Ask him to walk faster. If he doesn't, don't ask again. Don't escalate the leg aid. Don't tap-tap-tap. One ask with the leg and if he doesn't speed up, a flick on the bum with the whip. Next time, one ask with the leg, and if he doesn't speed up a crack on the bum with the whip. Nothing in between, no escalation. "Move of your own choice or you will be made to in a way you won't like - your choice" is the message. It takes about three repetitions until they understand and then if you stick on message, you'll never have a problem. I HATE seeing those riders whose legs are tap tap tap the whole time. The horse is tuned out anyway and taking sod all notice! And then when you want to give a subtle aid later in the training, the horse is already dead to the leg :-(

Walk out with a horse with a faster walk will help :-)

C