Friday 28 September 2007

Dam..blast ..and bugger!

Well AliG has developed a splint..I think this has been why he's been reluctant to walk out and why he's been better after a couple of days off!
Its very small but I didnt spot it until after I'd rode him today.He wasnt happy when we were out even though we didnt go far he kept dropping back and I could see he was getting annoyed when I was getting after him to walk on his ears clamped back and felt like he was threating to rear at one point!
Feel a bit guilty for not keeping a closer eye I had wondered if something like this had the potential to flare up somewhere down the line simply because he's gone from soft arena surface to hacking on harder ground.He's not lame and it not huge so hopefully it wont get any worse but im kicking myself about it..I should have sussed when he was better after a couple of days off that it wasnt just a case of him being lazy.
Just done a bit of reading up and the standard recommendation seems to be minimum 30days rest then see how it goes,also the obvious cold hosing,Arnica and Ruta Grav(think that the one).
Polo had splints,probably the norm when breaking in trotting horses on roads,and it never bothered me but feel annoyed I could probably have avoided it if i'd been bit more carefull.:(

6 comments:

Muriel said...

What is a splint? How do you detect it?

So sorry for AliG. I have a very forward mare so when she is "lazy" *I* know something is wrong!

Jean said...

How frustrating. It does happen, though. Sometimes even when you are really careful a horse can develop a splint. AliG might even have bumped his leg somehow, so it may not have to do with the work.

(Muriel: a splint is an injury to the covering of the splint bone--cannon area usually on the front leg. In young horses, there are soft tissue connections on the bone that usually get solid as the horse ages. When that tissue gets bumped or perhaps there is too much concussion from riding on hard surfaces, the tissue gets inflamed and swollen. Eventually it calcifies to hard bone often leaving a bump.) Some horses go lame from splints and others do not. Some, like AliG, might just not want to work because they are uncomfortable.

Usually once the splint heals, it's OK. The only thing I've ever seen with an older horse an and old splint is if the horse bangs or gets kicked in the area of the splint and the tissue around it overreacts.

AliG may have a bump on his leg, but he should be fine with some rest, some cold water on his leg, and some very sympathetic hugs.

Claire said...

hi, saw you post about caroline's SH made hay feeder.

i've got a haybar for molly - well worth it! you can get them from farmway @ hexham, or from New Century @ haswell ... expect others are selling them by now....or make your own of course....there was a thread on EE on the topic last year!

cptrayes said...

You might cure it if you get Bone Radiol on it quick enough. I know a show pony that had one come up and it was completely removed. Surely the rest is only if they are lame? On the other hand, if you want him to show, then you need rid of it so of course you'll take no risks.

If I'm remembering right that they are what my friend has, then Haybars are open at the top and my friends horses simply pull the hay out and spread it everywhere!

C

Nicola said...

The trouble is Caroline im wondering even if he isnt obviously lame is it causing him discomfort which is why he's reluctant to walk on properly?Just seem too much of a coincidence that if he has a couple of days off he's walking better so is the rest helping?
Is Bone Radiol an ointment to rub on?think i know which one you mean.

The only thing that puts me off the haybar (other than they can still pull it out and make a mess)is they put their head in it and I think they are still eating in an unnatural/high angle in comparison to off the ground.My back lady really encourages everyone to feed off the ground if poss cos they are stretching through their backs.

Claire said...

I suppose it depends on the horse.... but my back person (lee clark) recommends the haybar as well and has them in his stables...

anyway, if you search for that thread on EE some people had made there own things that were pretty much on the ground. some came with directions on how to make...