Wednesday 9 July 2008

Grrrrrr

They are BOTH now getting the muzzles off and Polo is looking more unsound!Well I reckon that confirms my lami theory...its been wet and warm and the grass has shot through seems too much of a coincidence.
Farmer is topping field as we speak and the fence has been done,at last, so tomorrow im making them a long thin strip with the electric fencing and abandoning the muzzles they have helped get a good bit of weight off AliG but if he's also getting it off its a waste of time!

Quick news as Ive got to get ready for work.
Rode AliG in the school on Monday I only had 30mins but he worked well his lateral work is coming on nicely the flexions have help with this he's so much more flexable and bendy:)
Polo had a walk out in hand which excited all the horse's in one of the fields who galloped around..Polo was bouncing and snorting which wasnt ideal.

Today my friend came and we longreined AliG ..he was excellent.Passed a huge tractor on the lane then went along a track he's never been before going under a dark narrow tunnel absolutely no hesistation I had to lead Polo through this tunnel the first couple of times.He walked out very well and seemed pleased to be going somewhere new we were out for well over and hour and had a trot heading home (we must be mad).
It was warm and humid so we were pretty hot and sweaty time we got back to the farm.
I wish I could have a few weeks of longreining 3/4times as week he enjoys it so much and it seems to be doing the job of getting him more forward thinking the problem is getting walkers to come with me I just wouldnt want to risk it by myself incase he got away from me on the road.

5 comments:

Jean said...

I do envy your ability to walk that far with AliG. I think it's my biggest frustration since my knees are so bad I can't to much lining from behind my horses. It's so good for the trot work to be able to work them that way.

AliG still seems to be coming along just fine.

What a worry about Polo and the laminitis. Guess the muzzle I used worked with a regular halter and was fixed at four spots around the noseband. However, it really didn't deter eating, just grabbing the fence to crib. Hope the new fencing situation solves the problem.

Claire said...

you're lucky having such quiet lanes around you.

cptrayes said...

It's a b***** the way people have to go to work when you need helpers isn't it!?!?!

C

Claire said...

nicola, check out the events section of EE, becky coming to yorkshire (5 minutes from scotch corner)....

Nicola said...

////It's a b***** the way people have to go to work when you need helpers isn't it!?!?!/////
I know its a disgrace people have no consideration!:0

///you're lucky having such quiet lanes around you.//
Its much busier than it used to be with the new livery yards etc and we do have some near misses as people tend to fly up and down. But we do have lots of bridleways and tracks so we are pretty lucky even more so considering we are close to the city centre.
Having said that he seems to be totally unafraid of traffic even when we venture on the busier roads although I dont like to push my luck.

I really enjoy it Jean and think its working wonders with him.