Tuesday 29 July 2008

The best ever:)

AliG excelled himself today went out for a hack with Jo and her littl'in and its was the best hack ive had on him EVER. He led all the way and didnt put a foot wrong not even a moment where I thought he was reluctant to go further,plus I barely had to ask him on at all!
We went down the steps and along the track then instead of turning and doing a loop back up the road we turned down onto the lower tracks I thought if anything would cause a strop this would as we turned in the opposite direction to home but no he was quite happy.He hesistated as we approached the little wooden bridge over the street(not sure if he's been over this before?),ive learnt with him if I give him a minute to look he will think about it then cant resist the urge to have a close look this is totally different from Polo who worries the more he looks so you have to take the lead and ride him past whatevers spooking him.
We rode up though a small racing yard and he had a little spook as some cows were hiding behind the hedge and there was a tractor rattling around at too,I say a spook its a little wobble on the spot really:),then rode back towards the track he knows.He was creamcrackered by the time he got to the top of the hills so I led him along the lane home...it wasnt all for his benefit my hips and knees were killing me at this point probably cos he's soooo wide!

Tonight I rode Polo with the YO he was very well behave led all the way,as usual, he still doesnt feel 'right' but when he's trotting and cantering around the field you can barely tell anything's wrong with him?!?!
Im in a quandary of do I just forget this summer totally leave him till Autumn see how he is or do I keep going for gentle hacks a couple of times a week to see how he copes with improved fitness.Dont get me wrong he's not hopping lame but the best way to describe it is that he's lost the freeness to his movement (if that makes sense) he seemed to be throughly enjoying himself but I dont want to make matters worse.
I dont want to put him though a whole load of tests as he hates it and gets distressed but I might speak to the vet again and see what the options are for some less invasive explorations?She mentioned scanning his tendons and xrays...
YO just couldnt get her head round why I wouldnt trot or canter him!Her older ned is virtually crippled with his feet and makes a donkey look fast so I suppose if she's happy to ride him then she must think im neurotic for being so cautious.
Few weeks ago she'd asked for a sit on Polo as she's never rode a big horse before so I was cruel and put her on the spot at the bottom of the lane and asked her if she wanted to ride him the rest of the way.She spluttered a bit(she not a very confident rider but a bit of a know-it-all) but then couldnt think of an excuse not to so I gave her a leg up,she obviously gave him a kick and nearly papped herself as he shot forward I told her he's super sensitive and a squeeze is all you need,she couldnt believe how big he moves but said he was extremely comfortable.I however was not so comfortable on her pone,saddle was rock hard,horse was dead to the leg and just felt like putting one leg infront of the other was a huge effort!
Pleased with my day but pretty tired now.

5 comments:

cptrayes said...

Ali is growing up nicely!

C

Jean said...

Uhm...some of the AliG wide might need a diet. Uhm....but he is built with that wide upper back.

What a good boy he was on the hack. Fabulous, he IS growing up.

As for Polo, your judgment is always the best. So taking it easy might well be a good idea. As for the YO riding him...have to laugh. People who do not ride properly trained horses "kick." Kick any one of my Boys and "off you go!" Toby would gallop off, Tucker might...or buck in insult...and Chance, as green as he still is would take off too.

Riding her pone told you all you needed to know.

You ought to be tired. That was some active day on the horse front.

Muriel said...

Yep agree with Jean, regarding Polo, he is YOUR horse, YOUR responsability, You know him better than anybody, you need to follow your gut feeling.

Regarding Polo and AliG diet : DRY PADDOCK is the only way. All our paddocks are dry ... because nothing grow ^_^

I will try to find a patch without grass and give them hay three times the day.

Nicola said...

Well ive thought and thought about it and my gut feeling is to rest him till later in the year then see how he is I just dont feel happy riding him when I dont think he's comfortable.

If I had a dry paddock they wouldnt be the size they are!:))
I dont know what else I can do they are stripped off,muzzled over night and in through the day with a small amount of soaked hay our grass is just so rich!

Claire said...

and if you could see the very thin strip they are out on!...

we should swop - we've not enough grass, what with the water board having half the fields dug up!