Tuesday 4 March 2008

Migraine today...

but I still rode!
Ive not been sleeping well the last week or so and had stinking headache last night and woke up with it this morning so I dosed myself up with painkillers and went up the farm.
I'd planned on riding Ali in the school but when I left the yard a young girl was in jumping her pony.It was pretty terrifying to watch as she wasnt the best rider then trying to get it over pretty decent sized jumps when all it wanted to do was nap towards the gate..there were a few cat leaps!:0
So I decided against going in and we went off for a hack.He had one spook where he got nearly 45degrees around until I stopped him,its slow motion compared to Polo's spins and he keeps his shoulders up so you dont feel like your going anywhere.It was a justified spook there was a van parked up with the back doors open and flapping then someone popped out behind the hedge.I let him have a good look then he walked up to it step by step until he was having a good nosey.
He behaved fabulously walking through the riding school,just as we were passing the school a horse shot over shouting and other than a little bounce in the air he walked past lovely and calmly.
He was fine all the rest of the way we had a few trots on the way out and back..he's definately improved in this area...just wish I could get more oomphh to his walk!
No pinned ears or attemps at rearing:))
I however felt rubbish my balance was all over the place,couldnt get comfortable in the saddle any my legs felt all shaky almost like i'd had a huge fright. The painkillers helped the headache but my body is still affected by the migraine ..i was like jelly.legs are trembling now funnily enough!

Polo was flat out asleep when we got back so didnt have the heart to get him up so he did nothing today.
Never got the chance to phone the vet today but ive pretty much decided to rest him for a good period then see how he goes.Jean mentioned Acupuncture.Im definately open to trying 'alternative' treatments how he'd react to that in particular im not sure with his aversion to needles although he's been really good with the last couple of injections.
Thinking back he's never been 100% since he went through the fence last summer!

3 comments:

Nicola said...

OH meant to say yes there there was a photo in the paper.I'll see if I can scan it although my printer is a bit iffy at the minute but i'll try,probably be towards the end of the week when ive got time...

Jean said...

Migraines are vicious monsters. Hope you are feeling better. I go to the chiropractor to cure mine. My sympathy.

My PJ was very bad for his first acupucture treatment and needed to be tranquilized. By the third time, he stood happily for the needles. Once he understood how much better they made him feel, he got so he enjoyed it!

I've had acupuncture myself. If the doctor uses the traditional needles, you hardly feel a thing--except in certain points and then the doctor warns me in advance.

My vet knows the spots on my horses as well and takes extra care when inserting the needles there. If it addresses whatever issue your horse has, the results can be dramatic.

I once saw a horse that was lame come out sound as anything after a treatment.

Claire said...

you probably shouldn't have ridden ... and as well it was steady ali, not hyper polo!