Friday 14 March 2008

Burn-out!

Ive been a neglectful mum this week as ive done nothing but the bare essentials with the boy's,feeling very tired and burnt out this week.
Im sure they've been devastated having more time to eat haylage and play in the field:)))

Today however I gave myself a kick in the butt and worked AliG in the school.Oh Lord is he lazy I think I was more tired than him at the end!I was half expecting him to be fresh as he's done no work since last week but he continually tried to grind to a halt so I had to be really on his case.Polo is always fresh after some time off even on 24/7 turnout Ali most definately isnt!!:0
I started off with 10mins of rope circling then 30mins on the longlines.I had flashes of forwardness using lots of changes of rein and walk to trot transitions but I had to really drive him on at times.I did get a walk to canter transition completely of his own accord at one point though:)
Im finding the lunge lines hopeless for the longreining as they are a bit too light and keep getting caught in the wind plus I cant flick him with the outside rein properly which helps to engage his backend.Can see im going to have to buy some better quality ones.I know Richard Maxwell sells them so reckon going to have to bite the bullet and see how much they are.

It was a lovely mild day so Ali was quite warm by the end,hoping to get him out for a hack tomorrow but the weather report isnt looking great...AGAIN.

4 comments:

Muriel said...

I got some great long-reins from France.
here they are :
http://www.equestra.fr/Longues_renes_bout_corde-p-1822-c-1005_1011_10129_10131.html

They are part rope, part reins. Really good and teh proper gear. I am sure they willl export to you. Let me know if you need any help with the order ^-^

Jean said...

I'm with you about the burnt out, so don't feel too guilty.

I've never had a problem with my long lines. They are canvas with rolled nylon at the bit ends. They might still be too light for you.

The only worry I have about buying Richard Maxwell stuff is that it MIGHT be way overpriced because of the name.

Claire said...

i got some 30 foot longlines at blair for £20 the pair; not huge amounts of weight to them, but well long enough. you must have 30 foot though

max's are about £32 the pair....

Nicola said...

Thanks Muriel ..I priced the one's from Richard Maxwell and they are £30 which doesnt seem to bad so will probably order them.