Tuesday 19 February 2008

Icicles!

We've had a decent few days weather wise lots of sun but its absolutely balitic overnight going as low as -5degrees.
I got to the farm just before 10am this morning and Polo had an icicle beard and his tail was white from his hocks downwards.It looked very pretty and Christmasy:), his body felt nice and warm despite this.Strangely AliG didnt have the beard or white tail but did have some hanging from the feathers down his legs.
I rode both boys on Sunday not that I can feel too smug didnt go out long on either of them but at least they both did something.

Yesterday I was at work for a training day but managed to squeeze an hour ride in on Polo he felt quite sharp and was winding himself up a bit spooking,possibly because he was getting ridden much later than usual and the light was starting to dip not that he needs excuses to wind himself up:))
He felt free in his movement and think I counted 3drops which is less than he had been doing and they werent quite so obvious as they have been so im hopefull the Adequan is kicking in and having the desired effect(he's had his third injection).

Today I decided to see how AliG would react being longreined along his 'trigger' route by himself,my friend came along just incase. He walked along well got a bit excited as we passed a long line of kids out for a hack from the riding school but only in the form of a few moments of jogging and slight bounciness.He was perfect when all the mare's in the nearby field came galloping over towards us absolutely no reaction other than to look at them.
So we got to the turn and sure enough there was a little head toss and he tried to turn back so I pushed him on forward,he had a mini objection so I put him on the circle and lunged him around me.
He cantered a few times round then brought him back to walk for a few more laps until he looked calm then asked him to walk on.After a few strides he tried to turn again so I lunged him in the other direction,he was much calmer this time so I kept him going for a few circuits then straightened him back up and asked him to walk on again.He did this with no objection so I praised him then asked him to stand for a minute then walk on,I did this a few times to see if he would protest or try to turn around which he didnt so we went a bit further then I turned him for home.
He was foot perfect all the way home.

Im still not entirely sure why he's doing it,its not all about dominance as he reacts when there's no horse's about. The turn ,where he kicks off, is in the total opposite direction from home,if we cut through a field we be back on the lane heading home(not that we've ever cut through this field)so this may be a factor although he doesnt object going in other directions.
He doesnt seem fazed or worried being out and about but maybe Ive be fooled into believing he's more confident than he actually is?Not certain yet BUT I am happy that each time he objects its less explosive and he's definately listening to me so thats all pretty positive!
Im thinking of riding him along there next time then getting off well before his 'trigger' spot then leading him with his pressure halter and line then if he starts I can lunge him safely then when we pass and head for home get back on him...

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

Sounds like you are doing just fine with Ali - play up? More work. Behave? Stop work. Great training!

C

Jean said...

Good job. Interesting about that one spot. He may well have conditioned himself to misbehave there. First time, a bad reaction. Second time remembering the first time...etc. I think your retraining plan should undo it, though.

I admire your persistence.

Claire said...

would be interesting to know WHAT about that spot, though - very odd!