Saturday 2 February 2008

Funny old day...

Been a strange day today I went up the farm this morning with the intention of doing the stables,getting them both out I also had to go for my food shopping I usually do it Friday but didnt get there.
Mucked out etc then it started to sleet again so I decided to call in at my Mum's leave the dogs there while I did the shopping when I got there my sister and neice arrived so I ended up staying for a while.Time I got to the shop the post office was closed and I couldnt get parked cos it was so busy so I turned around and went back to my Mum's clipped the dog's tums ready for their show in a couple of weeks,at this point it was late afternoon and I'd accomplished nothing and half lost the inclination.
But I got back to the stables and pushed myself to get going.AliG first we went for a hack he started off perfectly well then half way out I could hear horse's coming up behind us fast as could Ali who was getting rather excited by this.It was the 'eventing doctors' from the top of our lane,they never show any concern or manners for any other riders although they expect everyone to slow down for them but anyway they trotted past then almost straight away turn back for home passing us again.I kept AliG going he was pretty wound up by this point but I walked him on as far as the lane allowed then had to turn for home.He could still see them way ahead so was jogging a bit then just at that moment a car flew past us making the weirdest of noises,AliG seemed to sit then do a mini rear then leap forward.I circled him a couple of times then continued on towards home,he kept trying to jog for a while which I kept stopping, we where going down hill at the time.
Soon as he couldnt see the other horse's he calmed down I gave him a steady trot along the flat and then he walked home striding out lovely.
I was a bit cross with him then when I thought about it I keep forgetting he's so young and green and if that had have been Polo at that age (or even a couple of years ago) he would have been 100times worse.

I had a little bit of daylight left so I quickly took Polo in the school for half an hour he did one drop on his shoulder on the way out the yard but that was it..hopefully I'll get him out on a longer hack tomorrow to assess if the bute is making a differenceNeedless to say he was very forward:))

3 comments:

Jean said...

Considering all the distractions, and the rude riders, AliG was really quite a good little boy for such a young horse. Both Tucker and Toby--older and supposedly more trained than AliG--would have both taken off and been out of control, I do think. Takes a lot of good temperament to ignore the herd instinct like that.

cptrayes said...

Considering his age he did well not to dump you, even though you are very stickable :-)!

C

Claire said...

alig is lovely ....