Friday 3 April 2009

Poloooooo!!!!!

I cant believe im having to say this after the last few drama filled months but Polo ran over me yesterday...yes RAN OVER ME.
It was a gorgeous day so I walked down to collect the boys Polo cantered down with Ali behind him,I should have known something was up cos he kept stopping and looking but seemed calm enough in himself.I got them through the gate and had turned to close it when Polo literal leapt forward in a blind panic I stumbled forward,unfortunately there's a dip in the ground at the gate so I fell flat on my face.It seemed to happen in slow motion, I knew Polo was coming over me cos I was right infront of him I remember shouting his name and feeling like I'd lay there ages waiting for him to stand on me.I think he must have tried to avoid me as luckily he only caught me with one leg..right on my backside!
I staggered to my feet and waited for them to settle down so I could take their halters off,Ali had followed him in charging around the field.Polo looked very sheepish when I got to him,mind you that could have been total confusion about my appearance as when I limped back to the yard and looked at myself my face and hair was covered in dirt.I knew i'd hurt my head, side of my face and my bum but couldnt really tell how bad at the time.
Drove home with my face and backside throbbing then had a shower which was when I saw the extent of the damage.
Im covered in grazes and bruises up my arms,grazed all down the side of my face which is pretty swollen and my eye has developed into a rather impressive shiner.
Probably should have gone to hospital but I hate the places so went to work instead:)))
I know why he did it, YO had hung a few rugs over the gate of the field opposite and because it was 'different' it sent him into panic mode.Im annoyed with myself more than anything cos he almost did the same thing a few weeks ago when rugs had been left over the gate but I caught him in time to stop him...grrr like I shouldnt know what he's like after all these years!

Today everywhere hurts,my ribs,my shoulders,my backside particularly around my coccyx, which ive injured once before,despite how bad my face and head looks this actually hurts the least.
I brought them in seperately today as Polo still seemed spooky,dont think the spring grass is helping matters the other two pones in the field are in high spirits too, although Ali isnt joining in with the madness thankfully.

I actually went out for a hack on him with the YO this afternoon I know I shouldnt have but the weather was so nice I did although it was so painfully I wished I hadnt,I wont be riding till my butt is feeling better.
Bless him he pootled along with me yelping and groaning and despite going around fields he's never been in before..YO is convinced he was looking after me.Of course it could have been the way I was perching trying to keep my bum out of the saddle:)

Hopefully tomorrow the stiffness will have eased NOT that im going to ride after today.I didnt half get some funny looks tonight when I did my shopping:0

4 comments:

Claire said...

they say standing in the stirrups is good for the position .. but you didn't need to go to those lengths

ouch indeed! and yes you should have gone to hospital!

Jean said...

Ouch!! Being trampled is not good, no matter how it happens. A panicked horse simple cannot be handled. I am so sorry for you.

It still sounds as if Polo tried not to step on you, as it certainly could have been worse. If you are still sore in another day, perhaps getting looked at by a doctor would be a good idea.

Muriel said...

Poor you!
How are you feeling today?

Polo is quite an handful isn't he? I think that even when he well over is 40s he will still be a handful.

I wish you a swift recovery!
Watch out for the rug monster, it does strike in Italy too.

Nicola said...

Thanks for the sympathy it was much appreciated!
Muriel Polo will never change its impossible to be cross with him though as he just cant help himself at times and doesnt mean to hurt me.