Tuesday 28 April 2009

Its a busy old life..

I sometimes think coming to work is easier than my hectic 'out of work' life!
Instructor had to cancel the lesson on Fri as she was stuck in traffic so we ended up having a 20min hack around one of the fields.
The lesson happened on Saturday and was really good and hard for us both which is hardly suprising considering i'd barely rode in three weeks and Ali had been doing mainly work on the ground.
Instructor commented that his stride had shortened up again so she had us doing lots of flexions to get him to activate the inside hind then pushing him through. We ended on a really good note with him reaching down onto the bit relaxed and swinging in trot. I can feel my riding improve with every lesson, im riding with much better feel and am quicker to correct when things start to go wrong.
Then to be really mean Ali had a rest for an hour then went on a hack with Quenza...cruel mummy! We didnt go far just along the lane, it was a good opportunity to pass the bogey cow area when he was tired and he was great. He was a little hesitant but with encouragement and my leg on braved it,the cows being further off in the field helped matters.
Guess what?!?! I rode Polo too!:))
Went out with the YO after riding Ali back along the lane which I thought was the best option as he's been walked out inhand along there a fair bit.He was a bit spooky/looky for the first 5mins but then was absolutely brill,his walk isnt as good a usual but mooching around in the field isnt helping so im hoping getting him on a few hacks booted and padded up will work. His feet have deteriorated hugely since he's been out of work and im now convinced this is where all the problems stem from.This is why I first pulled his shoes however many years ago that was as I couldnt keep him sound,riding in boots and pads turned things around so im going to try that approach again.

I didnt ride Sunday as I had a dog show. Was a weird old day as it was the same judge who gave Buster a 1st three weeks ago and a lovely critique, well he didnt place Buster this time! He placed two of the dogs Buster beat first and second this time, I could possibly understand him placing different dogs and not Buster but not dogs he only beat three weeks ago? Got me baffled!
Ted was silly-AGAIN. Mouse however got placed in quite a tough class,she is looking really well at the minute but her coat still isnt through.A few more weeks and I reckon she's going to be in peak show condition which is just intime for the two big shows in May and June.Buster and Ted's coats are a concern as they are going to need stripping soon which will mean they are probably going to be out of coat for these shows..its a complicated business for sure:))

Yesterday Ali went for another hack with Quenza,he was a bit of a wally when I had to get off and do the gates as he wouldnt standstill when I wanted to get back on using a large boulder. I kept circling around until he realised this was much harder work and stood. Other than that it was a lovely loopy hack through the field and back out onto the road heading home.
Today Ali had a short lunge and Polo went out for a hack with Quenza. He started with the usually 5minute spookiness which unsettled Q a little but then they both settled down nicely.Q had to work hard keeping up with Polo's long rangy walk, she hasnt figured out how to lengthen yet which is understandable its very early days under saddle for her but she did squeeze past a tractor on the way home when I had to get off and lead Polo past haha.
Weather has been awful today and tonight,im hoping for a better day tomorrow and a schooling session with Ali.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Wow, you really jumped back into some serious work didn't you? AliG still sounds like such a baby in so many ways. I don't think he's quite comfortable with his body yet and that may account for some of the training irregularities you find. He will figure it out and get steadier as time goes on.

Silly Polo. I agree. I think he needs some work. Good for his feet, good for his body, and good for that clever imagination of his! *lol*

Claire said...

are you not allowed to ask the judge afterwards? at least with stressage, you get some feedback on the sheet!

Danni said...

I dunno how you find the time...two horses to ride, dog shows, AND work?! *lol*

Sounds like you are going great guns. Won't be long at all before Ali finds that reach in his stride again :)

Muriel said...

I am so busy too, that I can barely keep up with my blog :-O!
I am glad I am not the only one. You are really batty to ride that old Polo, after all he did to you ^-^

Weird about judhing, it will sure put me off showing.

Nicola said...

It does get rather hectic but I managed, all be it feeling beyond tired most of the time!:)
Its a bit of a no no to question the judges.Seems silly to me but it's frowned on, my friend started showing her GSD last summer came a cropper for doing this and has given up showing because of the hard time she got.