Friday 15 August 2008

Sorry Caroline .....yes we have puppies!

Just havent had the time to get online had so much going on.

Mouse had the puppies on Wednesday,it wasnt straight forward OBVIOUSLY but im am now the proud granny of three boys and one girl:)
I knew the night before she was on her way as she was so restless and digging in her bed she was clinging to me all morning so I literally spent the day sitting on the floor with her surrounded by towels with a cage set up.The contractions started around 3in the afternoon then she started pushing hard a little before 5,I saw a tiny paw popping out so knew pup was coming backwards which isnt unusual or too troublesome in dogs.Took her a little while to get the pup out I was worrying the bag was burst and it would be struggling for oxygen so I helped with a few little pulls intime with her pushing.A boy and a decent size I hard to really rub and work on him to get him going to start with but along with lots of licking from Mouse he started to gasp for air then breath properly.She had a bit of a rest then the next two came quite close together,girl then boy both much smaller she just popped them out oh forgot to mention this was all happening on my knee sitting on the floor,she was determind to involve me completely!:)
She then had a long rest cuddled up with her babies at first I wasnt too worried as she'd had the two in quick succession but after an hour and still nothing I rang the vet then took her up.I knew there was at least one more as I could easily feel it sticking out her side so the vet scanned her and gave her and injection to stimulate the contractions.The injection was given 45mins to work but still nothing was happening the vet recommended not to hang around as the pup was still alive so she had a cesarean section.I was pretty gutted as she'd done so well having the three but when the pup came out he was a huge black dog so I very much doubt she could have gotten him out.
Once she woke up I headed home armed with powdered milk and bottle kit just incase she wasnt up to feeding them that night,it was 10pm,torrential rain bouncing down and I was panicking cos I didnt have alot of fuel left in the car.The surgery is half and hour away and I didnt want to stop on the way there but luckily we made it home.
Both of us had very little sleep that night as they puppies were pretty noisy and demanding,obviously Mouse wasnt feeling great but she fed them all night if getting a bit stressy at times.
Last night they were much quieter and I got a little bit more sleep.
My only concern it she's not eating a well as i'd like im having to hand feed her little and often she wont touch dog food so has been having scrambled eggs,toast and chicken breasts.She also panting quite alot it might just be she's a bit anxious?She's on antibiotics but is going for a check-up in the morning so i'll mention it all.
Puppies are very active and wriggly its amazing how quickly they can move around the cage,will get some pics up when I get some time!
Anyway I definitely wont be doing this again I cant handle the stress and worrying fingers crossed Buster will continue to do well showing so he can have a bit of stud work much more straight forward.Although his coat is a mess,I have a show next weekend so its too late to strip him and ive done no practicing with him:0

Ive been running up and down to see to neds as I dont want to leave Mouse too long at the minute so they'll be having a few days of doing not very much.Plus both had their teeth dont yesterday and dentist recommended a few days off,particularly AliG as he was working on him for nearly 45mins.Its the first time ive used this guy and I was very impressed he was extremely through and the good thing is if Polo needs more drilling in the future he's completely qualified to do this.He said Ali has a good mouth its just a case he has new teeth erupting etc,he loved him and commented how well he did as he did have to work on him longer than the norm.
Polo obviously fought and although didnt need a great deal done made it take twice as long as should have done!

Quick catch up had a lesson on Sunday and it was MUCH improved AliG did attempt two rears.He's going forward better now but didnt want to do this into a contact I stopped him just before it turned into a full rear and he behaved well afterwards we had some great canter towards to end and for the first time he got into a nice rhythm and didnt feel like he was going to stop at every opportunity.
Had a long hack on Tuesday he didnt put a foot wrong ,got caught in a heavy shower coming home.

Off to eat my cremated dinner that I forgot was in the oven..Mouse is eating better than me!

5 comments:

Jean said...

My goodness. You'd think a natural childbirth would be the norm, but, of course, nothing ever goes easily when it's really important.

Congrats, Grannie, and congrats, Mouse Mommy. I do hope she is feeling better soon. I know it's a worry.

AliG is growing up faster than Polo. *G* He surely does seem better behaved than his "role model." *lol*

cptrayes said...

Oh what a relief. Is a black one normal? Is it spoken for? Howm uch do you want for him? Oh I mustn't Allan will kill me!

C.

Nicola said...

////Oh what a relief. Is a black one normal? Is it spoken for? Howm uch do you want for him? Oh I mustn't Allan will kill me!////
No he wouldnt he'd LOVE one its impossible not to they are addictive!:)))
In all seriousness with where you live and your lifestyle a Border would be in heaven.

Mouse and Minx's dad is a blue and tan border so this one may stay that colour its impossible to say at this stage as they can change colour dramatically...have a look here it has a pic of a blue and tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Terrier
Buster's brother was dark when born but is the same colour as Buster now this pup is much darker though.
Two are possibly spoken for ,one IF I keep one and the other is for Jo's (from the farm) dad.
Ive got to be ruthless with myself and only keep a one that I think will show well and its hard to say until they hit 3weeks,thats when I really saw Buster had something.
I reckon it would be pretty unlikely if at least one or two didnt have potential.
Ive decided not to keep the girl no matter what (famous last words)as another season to go through twice a year with Buster would drive me insane.
So Caroline to eventually answer your question there is one/possibly two boys(although I cant say which yet) and the girl left...girl will go for £550 boys £500 bitches are usually much more indemand.
Will definitely get some pics tomorrow ..how can you resist:)))

Think ive come out in sympathy with Claire when I woke up this morning I couldnt move my neck and shoulders.Feels like a trapped nerve or something and its absolutely killing so im going for a hot bath and putting my massage machine on to see if that helps.

cptrayes said...

Ouch, I hope you're OK/ I'm so relieved that you can get hundreds of pounds for them, it makes it sooooo much easier to keep my hands in my pockets :-) !!

If you can't sell the dark boy and want fifty quid for him let me know (joke, not meant to be rude, I'm sure they are fabulous and worth every penny !!)

C

Claire said...

crikey, the prices have gone up since i last investigated! but very worrying all round, and your neck will be done in with the stress of everything, and mouse wanting you so involved, of course! just as well you were home and not at work.