Sunday 24 August 2008

Didnt get a look-in!

Well the show was eventfull to say the least:0
Had about 3hours sleep but was up and on the road by 6am,arrived in excellent time as there was hardly any traffic on the roads so got my number,catalogue etc and settled ourselves down right on ringside waiting for things to start.
Little while later we heard growls,howling and screams, two dogs were obviously having a fight over the far side of the hall and it was a bad one.There were lots of people trying to seperate the dogs which felt like it took forever,I couldnt face going over to see but eventually they must have gotten them apart.I saw a man covered in blood(his I think!) apparently it was a Staffy and a Afghan hound,both dogs were hurt!:( There were lots of show officials taking statements im not sure what the course of action would be whether the offending dog will get banned/owner have to pay the vet bills?You do see some dogs taking a dislike to each other and having a growl and snap at each other but its the first real fight ive been around at a show it was horrible to hear!

The show got underway and my breed 'mentor' was in the ring first with his puppy dog now I was certain the pup was a sure thing he honestlly,well in my opinion, knocked spots off the other pups so when the judge placed him fifth I leant over to my mum and said "we havent got a chance here."
The lady who got first just happened to be one of the club's secretaries and a few of the other higher placings I recognised as big name breeders/members...I knew it was going to be one of those shows where you can spot the placings by the people without looking at the dogs!
Buster was in the third class which was pretty big,he was an absolute star didnt put a foot wrong but as expected we didnt get placed.
I had a chat with Peter outside the ring he was absolutely fumming he said the dog that won is a very nice dog who's winning up and down the country so if he'd been judging he might have beaten Buster but other than that we should have been in the top two without a doubt.
He said the judge was giving out CC's for the first time and was clearly making sure it wasnt for the last time by giving them to the people that matter.The thing was the dog she placed third was a very different dog from the two she'd placed first and second so if she had a 'type' why then go away from that unless of course the owner just happens to be a judge/breeder and treasurer of one of the clubs........
Peter said it was just going to be one of those shows where you might as well turn up without a dog for all anyone would notice:))
Another lady who we chat to and gives me advice(shes bred and judged for years)came up and said "well where's you red ticket I missed the class?" when I said we got nothing she couldnt believe it.
It's just one of those things, Peter says you have to accept it and keep trying as you do get judges who go on the dog alone or give up!

The next excitement was the firealarms went off so everyone had to troop outside.
I wanted to get back for Mouse and the pups so we had a wander around the shops where I bought some bits and pieces for the dogs and a big sheet of vetbed for the puppies then left.
The final insult was my mum's friend who came for the day took the vetbed to carry but left it outside the car and I drove off without it...what a day!:(

Oh im wrong there was one more disaster I gave Ali a quick lunge in the field when I got back.For speed instead of taking the reins off the bridle I twisted them and looped them through the throatlash.Well didnt he put his head down to steal some grass somehow got his leg through and snap the reins:000

Today we had a great lesson!
D started with some ground work/lunge to see if she could get him to bend I have to say she is very good and he was looking great after a while.
I then got back on with D keeping us on the lunge to help bend and keep him going if I was struggling,we had some spells where he was really flexing and reaching for the contact it was almost like a sweeping motion felt fabulous.His trot was much better too for the first time he felt like a horse and not a pony.
D said because of his breeding there is alot going on at the frontend with lots of high leg action but nothing happening behind so our focus has to be on getting him to track up and be active from behind.
I was really pleased with things at the end as was D, she didnt think we'd be where we were 'at'towards the end quite yet.

...puppies eyes are open today:)

4 comments:

cptrayes said...

I don't know how you stand that blatant favouritism. At least Buster doesn't know!

C

Muriel said...

Gosh I do not know hwo you can compete on a such perverted way of scroing/judging animals ???

Really not my cup of tea.
Just like Dressage, ica-skating, dancing etc ...

Well done for a well-behaved Buster ^-^

Ali does not score LOL
Who is D? I must have missed a post?

Nicola said...

D is my relatively new instructor Muriel.

It did pee me off yesterday more than usual but it does seem to be part and parcel of showing.
Its hard to get around it I suppose cos the judges usually become judges by breeding, showing and being extensively involved in the various clubs.
I personally wouldnt want or feel a placing was worth anything if I thought it was being given because someone was wanting to further their own dogs or judging career.

The only way I ever see it becoming none biased would be for the judges to only judge breeds they arent involved in ie) if you breed/show borders you cant judge them but can do all the other terrier groups etc?..the problem with this is obviously the judge wouldnt be as knowledgeable on the breed.
Or if you decide to become a judge you have to retire from showing and breeding for the time being.
Neither of these options would ever happen so its just a case of turning up and hoping you have a honest judge who isnt swayed by faces,they are out there {{somewhere}} :)

Jean said...

The politics of showing are so frustrating. Guess you just have to go because you like to show Buster off and because he enjoys showing off.

Oh, no about the reins. Something like that is always so annoying. I still need to replace the crownpiece on Tuck's bridle after he broke that. More money down the drain.