Thursday 5 March 2009

Phewwwwww

Just got home so quick Crufts news.
Well a day of highs and lows pretty much sums it up.This will probably sound weird but driving down this morning I had a feeling something bad was going to happen,I was paranoid the car was going to breakdown,Buster was going to take bad or *something*.The *something* didnt take long to rear its head but it wasnt aimed at us.
We'd literally arrived at our benching area and were putting the cage up etc when I saw an old man crash to the floor,it seemed to happen in slow motion as I watched,he simply went over backwards banging his head on the floor with the worst crack ive ever heard in my life.
A few of us rushed over, he was taking big gasps of air so we got him into the recovery position while shouting to get a doctor and ambulance.Seemed like forever until an on-site nurse arrived with emergency first aid kit,I could see he'd stopped breathing so told her, she proceeded to faffed on with an oxygen tank until another lady who was helping took charge and said he needs CPR and defibrillator NOW.
Another nurse who was just out for the day came and between the two ladies and another man giving CPR and a couple of us getting the defibrillator sorted we muddled through until the paramedics arrived who whisked him off like lightning.
His little old wife was standing through all this then got taken to hospital.
Well after this I have no idea what happened when for a while,I know I'd not give Buster his tablet when I arrived as i'd originally planned so ended up giving him it not long before his class.I cant remember if the old lady came back before or after we'd been in the ring but when I spoke to her,she was with Crufts staff and her husband had died.
What a horrible thing to have happened it was all we could think about all day,I kept hearing the crack.At the time I thought he'd gotten his leg caught on his cages but afterwards I reckon he'd had a heartattack and was probably gone before the paramedics arrived.The lady had no one with her and seemed completely dazed but obviously wanted to stay while the staff tried to contact her son and arrange her transport home as her husband was the driver.We kept an eye to make sure she was with someone all the time and incredibly she took her old dog into its class and won,apparently they'd shown and bred for many many years so im sure this was her way of handling the situation or doing it for her husband.
Anyway we did our class Buster didnt get anything my mind was not there and to be honest I dont think he'd have ever placed him anyway as he was going for much smaller dogs throughout the day and with a fair bit of coat,which Buster doesnt have because i'd had to strip him late with his illness!
Afterwards Peter said although he thought Buster looked great he seemed a bit flatter than his usually OTT self,im pretty certain it was because he got his tablet not long before we went in the class as one of the side effects is drowsiness.
I wasnt expecting anything anyway just getting there is an achievement and Peter said to have him looking half as well as he does and well him just being alive is not bad going.It did all seem pretty unimportant after what had happened anyway.

The high..well it wasnt mine but figure I can claim a little bit of it as it was Peter's glory and he's the one who's introduced me to showing so I was as pleased as punch when his little bitch pup not only got a first but then got best puppy of breed which is a fantastic achievement for him.


Im off for a bath and to sleep for 20hours....

3 comments:

Jean said...

I am so sorry about the old gentleman. What a tragic way to start the show for all of you, and especially for his wife. My heart goes out to her. Bless her for still showing their dog. I'm sure it gave her some comfort.

As for the "B" boy! Way to go. You may not have won anything, but you were there, competing in one of the world's premier shows. Fantastic. I am as proud of you both as if you had won Best in Show. Considering all you and Buster have gone through, just getting into that show ring was a top place finish.

Get some rest and give Buster Boy a hug from me. Tell him to hug you back. It's the only tangible way I can send you my love and admiration.

Claire said...

what a shame about the chap. you're probably right - heart attack and,with that crack, skull fracture. poor wife. brave wife.
well done buster; you watch, you'll do well next year when he's on top form!

is he the same breeding as Peter's pup?

Nicola said...

Thanks guys.
I consider myself pretty tough where people are concerned but seeing his wife throughout the day was really heartwrenching.
Im going to sent a card as their address was in the Crufts catalogue.

The pup is related to Buster in a roundabout way.I'll have to check but *think* the pup's grandmother is out of the same litter as my mum's dog,Sky.She's Minx and Mouses mum so is Buster and Ted's granny,does that make them cousins?
Peter used an outside dog to introduce new lines into his litter which just happens to be a top champion dog.

Felt REALLY tired today so when the dogs woke me I let them out(they sleep in the kitchen)then took them all back to bed:)
I did lunge Ali this afternoon and change them into their summer sheets as it was such a nice day with more nice weather forecast-hurray!
Ive started Polo on a cocktail of herbs to see if that will help.