Saturday 7 March 2009

Groan...

not a great day in the school with the 'G man' as soon as I sat on him I knew he was in grind to a halt at every opportunity mode so I should have gone for a little hack but he was so good in the school last time I went in anyway. His Fell pony friend was in there too who seemed to be in the same mode,maybe they'd been partying hard through the night?
Anyway the lateral work okay but not as good as last time,I tried playing about in trot half halt and gather him up in corners and short side of the school and open and forward down the longsides-tried being the operative word!
He argued about going forward at every opportunity and bucked a couple of times when I had the cheek to ask strongly (not in Polo's league matey!).I asked for a few canter transitions..horrible and a few more bucks cos I would accept him bouncing up and down like a rocking horse rather than going forward{sigh} hack tomorrow see if he's better then.
Im desperate for a lesson will definitely contact the instructor from my old yard see if she'll travel.

I took Polo in the school and had another crack at the rope circling,he was a sharp as ever, picked up exactly what it was all about instantly and wanted to trot round when I only wanted walk, he's the most incredibly sensitive and reactive horse.
He looked sound then off then sound then off but as we played he looked sounder,
maybe the herbs are working?!?!

I lunged Ali yesterday using the whole school and he was pretty good,we were just playing about really .

Forgot to say we went for a long hack on Wednesday,another new hack, Ali was really good although didnt like passing a smelly farmyard that had lots of noisy cows.He was mortified when it started to hail stone half way around and was tossing his head in disgust we had a few good trots and canters in the dash to get home. Mmmm maybe we just need bad weather to get him forward:)))



Dogs are all stripped now,I did Ted last week and made a start on Mouse. Ive never seen a dog react like Ted he positively loved it and was flat on his back while I did his tum.The others dont mind it but all have areas they dont like so much Buster is good all over but didnt like his shoulders done the first time,Minx is good everywhere but doesnt like her legs being done,Mouse doesnt like her tummy done.I finished Mouse off last night,well she has a bit on her tum still to got but I do that a little at a time,Minx got a tidy up as she had a bit of a mane,Ted a good brush through with the stripping blade and I tidied Buster up.
Im a bit cross with myself as his coat didnt look great for Crufts, his neck and shoulders arent through properly so it all looked a bit uneven but I was scared of making it worse so left it.Last night I pulled out all the long bit that were sticking out over his back and thighs and he looks fab now,still short on coat but its even and looks much better-typical!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Don't beat yourself up about Crufts. It was a miracle you had your Buster boy there in the show ring at all, let alone perfectly groomed.

Naughtly AG. What's he doing, a Tucker?? Chalk it up to Spring Fever for now, but if it keeps up drastic action may be called for. (Not sure what that will be, but I'm sure we can think of something.)

Good news on Polo. He seems to be feeling better. That's hopeful.

Claire said...

no advice on getting ali forward when he doesn't want to be...save carring a schooling stick

i've never ploated a coat, that'll be something to learn as and when... allison still says not this year! in answer to question what she wanted for her birthday...

Nicola said...

Total different horse today got some really nice work in the school.
Vic came and showed me some exercises to help release my hips (thanks Vic my thighs are now killing!) just incase im blocking him.He's so wide its a possibility plus the more he grinds to a halt the harder I start to work which probably doesnt help matters.
Anyway it was like riding a different horse from the moment I sat on him.It was windy and the school was busy so this might have freshened him up either way I likey!
Vic put some poles up and said his trot looked fab as he was really using himself,got some lovely work in the top corners of the school. Still a bit nappy at the bottom near the gate but not horrendous.

There's a definite technique to it Claire chalk helps alot too.
I know of some litters due..temptation...temptation:)
Peter is trying to get me to have a litter out of Mouse next year using a different stud dog.Not one of his dogs which just goes to show how genuine he is to tell me to go elsewhere.Its a dog I like alot, probably because it has a look of Buster about it just a bit smaller,its showing very successfully.
see how I feel next year I really cant keep another pup but this dog is so nice im sure i'd be seriously tempted!