Friday 23 January 2009

Friday..my favorite day of the week.

Im cream crackered but can work through it when its Friday:)
Wednesday I worked AliG on the longlines.After pondering on Jeans comment the other day about getting an instantaneous response I realised this hasnt been happening more ask then ask again then get response so I spent 20mins going from walk to trot and back again totally mixing it up ,anything from one stride walk straight into trot to 3/5/10strides then the same in trot.When he didnt respond I wacked my boot and ground with the line and jumped up and down so he was leaping into trot, by the end a quiet and calm "aannnd trot" got the desired reaction.
Today I repeated this for 5mins in the school then longlined him out for a 15minute hack up the road and back he was very good,I reckon this is the way to go for now thanks Jean for reminding me about the basics!:))

Buster has been absolutely brilliant this week totally different from my last post about him,his glands have gone completely down on his neck which is the first time since he's been ill ,the meds have obviously fully kicked in now so im over the moon.
Had them all down to the beach twice this week which is Ted's first time, they've had a whale of a time.Ive been concerned Ted has lacked much of the socialization i'd like at this stage due to Buster being ill but to be honest he's an extremely well behaved pup, recalls instantly, been fully housetrained for months etc.Ive been watching a lot of the Dog Whisperer on the Discovery channel and have made some slight changes to how i'd normal deal with a pup....plus the others.
Nothing major im just being more consistant and getting in there much quicker to correct any undesirable behaviour and doing far more walking on the lead than i'd usually do rather than letting them run free for much of the time.
I know some people dont like Cesar Milan but his common sense/no nonsense approach appeals to my nature.Im very conscious four dogs is a pack and can easily set each other off into trouble and excitement.Anyway the dogs ALL seem more settled and Ted so far has been the easiest pup weve ever had.

Muriel ive got some pics to put up over the weekend of the new yard and dogs at the beach:)
Yes Claire its the one a gloucester lodge.

3 comments:

Jean said...

All right, AliG!! The only reason I suggested the training techniques is because it's exactly what I need to do with Tucker--once the weather gets me back in the saddle. Glad it worked. Now keep it up!

I love Cesar Milan's approach to dog training--although he doesn't quite see dogs as "people" the way I do. But he has an uncanny ability to speak to the dog's natural instinct to want a pack leader and once the owners "get it," their dogs really come around.

I too was interested in his concept that the dog needs to walk on the lead instead of running free. It is a constant theme of his and really does make for a better behaved dog. I find his methods absolutely fascinating and exceptional.

Buster! HUGS from me!!

Nicola said...

Im pleased you too like Cesar, I think he has a true gift with a whole load of common sense thrown in!
Ive read lots of negative stuff about him online but as far as im concerned he turns around some extreme cases and gives these dogs a second chance...how gorgeous is Daddy!

Claire said...

glad to hear buster's doing well.

and that AliG is doing well. I haven't got as far as canter on longlines, at the moment i think if I tried it'd be a disaster!