Monday 19 January 2009

Cold,wet and windy!

Thats our weather today pretty horrible:(
Saturday I rode Ali out with my friend who was longlining her unbacked mare.He was no bother but still very slow going out and walking out coming home im starting to feel rather frustrated with this ,im not the most patient of people and am so used to Polo who strides out on a mission!
Yesterday I rode Ali in the school and it was worse he was falling out on the right rein and falling in on the left rein and backing off as soon as we got near the gate of the school.I tried to do a little bit of lateral work to get him listening to my aids,leg yield was okay, turn on the forehand just point blank refused to move his butt at all one step would have been great but would he heck.I could feel my temper rising so after I got a step forward and a slight movement over so gave up at that.
Im feeling really frustrated with him which is probably being a bit hard on him.I tend to forget how young he is as he appears to take everything in his stride but the yard move is very recent and he's bound to be unsettled.
So for now im going to limit my time in the school to working him inhand and on the longlines only,he seems to enjoy it and I know I do,im hoping to have a lesson in a few weeks which hopefully should kick start us back on the right track!

I am thinking about having a couple of weeks break soon anyway the weather is awful at the minute and only going to get worse and it seems pointless freezing my backside off when ive got the whole of the summer to enjoy the horses when(hopefully) the weather's lovely.

Ali had his jabs today,unfortunately when he had his initial jabs (in Spain)the 3rd vacc was outside the time so ive got to start his jabs all again.
There's a show 'up here' in August which has some Iberian classes which is pretty incredibly im hoping to take him so figure nows the time to get the jabs started again.Its maddening really as he's covered but due to rules and regulations he now has to have another jab in a month then again in 6months,I hate the idea of giving vaccinations for the sake of it!

3 comments:

Jean said...

I share your "weather" frustration. For me, it's now a combination of my own physical intolerance of the bad weather and the weather itself. Years ago, I'd be out there battling the elements just to ride somewhere. Not so anymore.

When you are longlining AliG, you might want to focus on demanding "instant, energetic" forward from him at every opportunity. It will help when you ride if you can establish the habit that when you ask him to "go on," he will do it without question.

Muriel said...

I share your frsutrations for teh jab. It is a real pain in the @rse. But when you get them sorted, Ali will be in order and you can show him. I am sure he will make a good expression .hint hint any photo of muddy brown Iberian ??? ^-^

Claire said...

that the one at gloucester lodge in blyth, nicola? I THINK stephanie is going to try and come down from the borders, and others from up that way might too!