Saturday 6 September 2008

Anyone got a boat?

Its has continued to rain all night and all of today so getting up to see to the horses has proved rather risky.
YO rang this morning to say the bottom of the lane was flooded she'd put my two in their stables and could see to them if I couldnt make it up.It was very nice of her but I knew i'd feel happier if I could get up and sort them myself I text Jo and she said she'd meet me on the lane and we'd see if her jeep could get through which luckily it did!
Polo's stable was flooded along the front as expected so I put a couple of bags of shavings down to soak it up.We mucked out and filled haynets so they were sorted for the day.M then rang to say the stud where Ellie's been staying had phoned her to say they were bringing her back as all their fields were flooded and they needed every spare stable for their own horses.No sooner had I sorted her stable they arrived to drop her off so she was deposited in her stable much to Polo's delight who had a smooch over the wall.
Jobs all done so we set back off now we'd been at the farm about an hour and during that time the flooded road had risen more I had my doubts we'd get through to be honest.We got most of the way along but when we hit the corner and it seemed to go REALLY deep Jo panicked a bit and put her foot down and the jeep sounded pretty iffy and I thought for one moment it was going to tip over the water was that high but we got through.

Tonight M picked me up as she's also got a jeep but we werent expecting things to have gotten so much worse the water was along the lane where i'd parked my car earlier and had been clear apparently it was chest high a the deepest part!
Thankfully our hero,YO from over the road(the one that lets us use his school) was ferrying people back and forwards in his tractor so we waited our turn and got dropped off at the farm gates.
Sorted the horses I put my two out with lots of hay in the shed,I figured they've got shelter and if I cant get there tomorrow YO only has to put hay out for them and they'l be fine,I put Polo's sheet on as he's older but im resolved in being tough with Ali.Our field isnt too bad as its on a hill but the yard below us is one much flatter ground and their fields are now lakes.
Tony then took us back to the car in his tractor...pics of what used to be a road



this is the part that had no water on it when I was there this morning..our lift turing around






couple of kids from the livery yard deciding to wade through it











The view from the back of the tractor







The lane which is most heavily flooded on the left is a field which usually has horses in you can see the water is at the top of the fence

Puppie pics tomorrow as it looks like im going to have alot of time on my hands.

6 comments:

Claire said...

crikey, nicola, i would never have thought of you being flooded up there! nightmare, and thank goodness for good YO's and neighbours!

Jean said...

Oh my goodness! We'll be in boats here too as this leftover hurricane drowns us. 2 1/2" of rain so far in about two hours. The only good thing is that we have been relatively dry up until now so there are still places for the water to go.

Those pics are horrible! I'm so glad my house and barn are on high ground. We may get some localized road flooding, but nothing like that!

Looking forward to the puppy pics. They must be triple adorable by now.

cptrayes said...

Wow!

I hope it's not bad news that you will have a lot of time on your hands???

C

Claire said...

i took it that you meant, because you can't do anything with the horses,nicola!

Muriel said...

OMg this is horrendous! so unfair, so much water, we have none :-(!

But yes we have winds.

I hope teh weather gets better for you !

Nicola said...

Yes Claire your right I just meant I wouldnt get a lot done with the horses.

Pretty dramatic it was,apparently lots of roads had to be closed and sounded one the news like most of Morpeth is flooded which is a little way up the A1 from us.