Friday 2 May 2008

What a week:0

Ive had a right old week, at times I seriously doubted my safety leaving the house cos so many things have gone 'pete tong'!
I bumped my car going for hay at the beginning of the week.The farmer had put a large stone planter next to the wall coming into the yard which was below eye height so I now have a huge dent in the door:(
Wednesday Polo's stable was flooded to the point his mats were floating!This hasnt ever happened before but YO usually keeps cows in the shed ajoining the stables so its always bedded down.They havent had any this year so shed has been turfed out and with all the rain we've had the water has gathered in the shed then with no bedding to soak it up it all ran into my stable..I wasnt happy!
Spent an hour sweeping it all out and lifting mats plus I had to empty two bags of shavings in the corner of the shed try and prevent more coming through...good job I dont have to buy them/
I decided to bring neds in that night so asked my boss if it was okay if we popped past while out with the students for me to put them in.No problems there but when I reversed out I managed to clip the front of the minibus on a storage unit next to the stables.When I looked I'd bent the bumped back,totally bent the metal that it sits on and ripped the indicator light off!
I was totally fed up at this point but luckily the head of the college thinks the sun shines out of my butt and found it hilarious:)))

Anyway somehow ive survived to Friday without injury and actually had a good day with the boys today.
I rode Polo first, he was on his toes and in hyper alert mode to start off with but settled and had poor Sandy(Jo's horse) bushed trying to keep up with his power walk. I do know what Caroline means about Jazz and his movement being addictive, Polo has this and when he's striding out the sense of power gives you a real buzz.
At the moment im keeping him strictly in walk which he finds annoying:)))

Jo and I then longreined AliG out along his worst trigger area...he was no bother!
It the first time he's gone along that way without kicking up a fuss doing his scowl ears pinned back bit.He tried halfheartedly to turn back a couple of times but I put him straight and kept him going and he was a good lad.He was uncertain going past a man cutting grass with a petrol strimmer which was fair enough Jo just went upfront next to him and he followed her past.Also had a spook at a large sack dumped along the track but that was it I was pleased with him and particularly because after the first 5/10 mins he was walking out really nicely.
Think im going to spend the next few weeks taking a step back doing pole work,grids etc in the school and lots of longreining out and about.I think I have a better chance of getting him to really go forward this way without me getting frustrated plus its safer for me to deal with any possible rears.

Im happy but very tired tonight.

4 comments:

cptrayes said...

What a week! I hope the weekend is better - but good news on the horses.

C

Jean said...

I backed into a post one time at ToysRUs when I was picking up some playground toys I was donating to the church. Same kind of low visibility problem, so I sympathize. *sigh*

Good thing you have two wonderful horses to make up for the rest of the week. *S*

Muriel said...

// the head of the college thinks the sun shines out of my butt //
really does it?

What a week! I am gald you are managing cheeky Ali. He is not forward by nature, you will have to train him ^-^

email me.

Claire said...

well at least you had a good end to the week! shame we didn't get up to see you ...