Sunday 4 May 2008

Pheww im whacked!

Spent the morning poo picking,pulling Polo's mane, replacing his mats from the flood then went home to make dinner before heading back up to work the boys.
My brother came up to walk out with me while I longreined AliG but first came out with Polo and all 6dogs!
Polo was full of beans today and I couldnt resist giving him a little canter along the grass verge on the way home,its the first canter under saddle he's had for ages and boy was he fresh.He didnt buck which is his usual trick after not cantering for a while so that was good. I could feel he desperately wanted to go full blast which I wouldnt let him so when we stopped to wait for my brother he was snorting and prancing about:)

We then set off with AliG, he was a bit slow and wandery for the first 10mins or so but then after that walked fabulous to the point we were struggling to keep up! We went along his bogey track again ,I wanted to test the other day wasnt a fluke,he was perfect.I half expected him to start when we turned right as Jo and I had turned left cutting through a field last time which is a quicker way home but other than slow down a bit he didnt react.
We then continued on and went onto the main road taking him over a fly-over of the motorway,my brother walked alongside him for this bit as he'd never been over there before and other than hesitate when the first couple of cars drove under us he was fine.
That brought us in loop back round to the other track and fields which take us home AliG recognised this bit and headed for home with a mission...we were absolutely wrecked when we got back to the yard, Ali was pretty sweaty too!
So a good day again.

I was a bit concerned this morning as Ali seemed to have ballooned over night and he feels tight over his back,not where the saddle sits but behind that.I gave it a bit of a rub and massage which he didnt seem to keen on but he walked well didnt look stiff or lame so I figured longreining shouldnt do him any harm.

Wish this insurance company would sort their act out and I could go ahead and book the physio.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Wonder what the "balloon" effect was all about. I guess he was OK, nonetheless. He ended up having a good workout.

And so did Polo from the sound of it. He was obviously ready for a rolicking good time!

Muriel said...

hmm balloon effect ...
something he did during the night, something he ate?

I can only imagine what Polo will be be after forced-box rest.

Do you give him anything calmer, magnesium???

Nicola said...

Haha Muriel if Polo had been on box rest I wouldnt be riding him I value my life!
He's just been on light work since he's not been right so thats excuse enough for him to be full of beans..they've both lived out all winter.
They are both on MagOxide mainly for their feet etc.

I think AliG's gorged himself as the weather has become much warmer but wet so the grass has shot through.
Im waitin for the fence along the back of the field to be replaced.Soon as thats done i'll make them their 'paddock paradise' kept Polo and Ellie's weight down brilliantly last year.OH and his friend are going to be doing ther work as its impossible to get YO to do anything and if he does he just wraps barewire round everything!

cptrayes said...

"we stopped to wait for my brother he was snorting and prancing about"


I'd have liked to have sen your brother doing that :-))

Nicola said...

It was quite a sight Caroline:))))