Saturday 7 February 2009

Trying to give me a heart attack!?!

This is getting beyond a joke why is it my animals are determind to give me heart failure..not the large half a ton variety I might add!
As my usual routine I arrived at the yard and set off across the fields with the dogs for their walk.Got into the second field walked half way up the field when I realised I only had Ted and Mouse no sign of Minx or Buster,they often run the outskirts of the field hunting the hedgerows but after calling and whistling I realised they were nowhere in sight!
I headed back down the field continuing to call for them after a couple of minutes I saw Buster's backside reversing out of the ground as he appeared his coat flipped over his head.Im not totally soft I only put their coats on when its wet as the have to sit in the car while im doing horses so I dont want them to get chilled.Anyway I ran and grabbed him and saw he'd come out of a badger hole.I deliberately avoid the middle bit of the field where all the badger sets are as they wanted to go down them when I fisrt stumbled upon them but this hole was situated way off to the left and down from the sets so hadnt noticed it...obviously they had!
I shouted and whistled for Minx down the hole totally flapping at this point thinking how far underground could she have gone? if she stumbles on some badgers they'd killer her....what if her coat get caught and she cant get out.
She was missing at least 10minutes,which felt like hours,but then her bum popped up as she backed out with coat over her head.
My god what a relief my heart was pounding!
I turned and headed for home keeping a close eye on them,they were both itching to go back.Its safe to say those two have the working Border ethic in abundance,I really should pursue the idea of getting them working certificates would be another string to their bow and I could enter them in the working classes,although they are few and far between.

This was when they first discovered the badger sets a few weeks ago..



Ted


Some of the fields we have to ride in at the new yard..pics not taken today I might add!Not bad eh:)
...
Couple at the beach as promised









Meanwhile despite the snow,sleety and icy conditions ive been out on two long hacks with Ali yesterday and today, we've had to stick to the roads and lanes as they've been gritted whereas everywhere else is frozen and icy .AliG has been an absolute star im really pleased with him he's walking out much better to the point im only having to use my legs to ask him to move over,straighten up or on the odd occasion he stops and says "Mum it must be time to turn for home".
Today we went a 'new' way and he was fab led virtually all the way along the main road while my friend longlined her mare,he's taking his 'nanny' role incredibly seriously,although in fairness the mare seems to have the typical Iberian attitude of being scared of nowt:))
He halted and looked at a few round bales in a field along the road but that was it,his walk is longer and swinging most of the time now instead of being short and choppy so im really chuffed to bits with him.
Polo meanwhile has a few hours kip in the stable and munched on some haylage...its a hard life.
Tomorrow im giving Ali the day off as I think he's earned it as he's had two days of long hacks so Polo will get some attention and a walk out inhand.

Oh nearly forgot while leading them down to turn them out Ali stood on the lace of my boots which was poking out the bottom of my chaps.I staggered,nearly fell right infront of him then somehow got a good knee up the butt for good measure.Luckily he realised something was amiss and stopped dead,I did find it pretty funny but I suppose if he'd kept walking and i'd fell I could have easily been stood on as I was right infront of him..another Brownie point for Ali!

7 comments:

Claire said...

good pics.

you'll be walking them elsewhere for the future then?

Jean said...

The little monkeys! Guess they are just doing what they are bred to do!

I've seen competitions on TV where the dogs actually run an underground course. They have to dig and sniff and hunt for the rats or whatever in the cages at the end of a run. Don't know if they do them where you are, or even where they do them around here, but it surely does look like good fun for the pups.

Not at all safe to ride the roads around here. AliG is learning so much these days. Super about his moving off your leg and going forward. What a good boy!!

Jean said...

Oh, I found a website: It's called Earthdog!

http://duffyscavern.org/new_to_the_earth.htm

I would wager AliG was rather amused at seeing you bow down before him like that. *lol*

Anne said...

I am lurking as usual (I do this with Clair and Jean too!) Being nosy which beach are you at?

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicola said...

They dont do those competitions over here Jean its a pity they look excellent and im sure Buster and Minx would be in their element!
To get a working certificate over here they have to go out with the hunt and I think go to ground,and definitely a keeness to work.The hunt 'terrier man' then signs the certificate and they can enter the working classes.

They are fine if I keep and watch them Claire, they wont do off if I tell them to come but they arent averse to sneaking away if I dont keep my eyes on them.I will be giving that field a wide berth from now on to be on the safe side!

Hi Anne its Seaton Sluice..I'll have to text you next time i go (thats if you've got the same number?)I like to get them down a couple of times a week,im guessing you still work Mon to Fri?

Muriel said...

What cheeky monsters! I am glad to hear that Buster is fine ...

Well done Ali! You might not apreciate him for his forwardness, but I am sure you are apreciating his level-head. That is what working breeds are for !