Monday 2 February 2009

Caught out...

Yes its been a whole week since ive 'blogged',when ive got time im too tired to think then if ive got energy im too busy to sit down!:)))

Anyway a quick recap,last week I was pretty consistant again and AliG had 'work' of somesort or other most days.I longlined in the school and he was fab again.His responses are much sharper and he'll keep ticking along at the pace set without looking for any excuse to stop, the canter is great!
Rode out with my friend again while she longreined,he alternated between walking out really well to backing off and grinding to a halt.Her mare was a bit wandery and slow too so they may have been influencing each other?
I had a bit of a eventfull longlining session in one of the fields on Saturday,just as I was going in some people from the yard were walking towards us with dogs i'd taken my gang so its was a bit of a flurry of excitement leading to Ali not wanting to stand to shut the gate.Eventually we got that sorted when two groups of riders from the yard came into the field one was YO's hubby so I warned him not to come blasting up behind us as i'd end up mud skiing.Its amazing how many people wouldnt think twice about doing this but on longlines not a good idea.I took him down around the field to let all the riders get out of the way,when we came back up he obviously 'thought' we were doing a small loop and then heading for home so wasnt impressed at the idea of continuing into the field.He spun round which cause one of the lines to flip over his back then continued to spin leading to the line wrapping around his neck I let go a ran and grabbed him up near the bit then untangled the mess!Soon as he realised we were heading that way again he objected and tried to spin and take off so I set him off on a circle and lunge him in trot and canter for around 10mins then set off in the bogey direction.I think he'd gotten the message at this point and gave in then was fine longlining around the perimeter of the field.

Yesterday I took the dogs to the beach in the morning but hadnt really wrapped up well enough and got totally chilled to the bone so only fed and haylaged them.
Ive still got lots of pics to put on the computer as soon as I get time.

Today we have had HEAVY snow showers, I managed to get to the farm which is 'fun' with my skid at any excuse estate car.They looked quite happy when I arrived I had to hike all the way to the top corner of the field to get them when usually I shout and they come running!I lunged Ali in the school which was fun as there was a lovely soft snowy footing he seemed to enjoy it as he was very forward and bouncy.
More snow on the way tonight, so they say...........

3 comments:

Jean said...

Good day for you, despite the sliding estate car. *shiver*

Oh,I hate it when they spin and wrap themselves up in the lines like that. It's a wreck waiting to happen. At least AliG stood to let you unwrap him. Tuck has been know to do a fast un-wrap and take off. Since I can't run because of my bad knees, he can get away from me and gallop off with the reins trailing. (Another wreck waiting to happen.)

Glad it all worked out safely for you.

Claire said...

how come your fields aren't too muddy?

sounds like a good week!

Nicola said...

Some of the fields are muddy but other than at the gate mine is in really good nick.I think it could partly be the field still has lots of grass so doesnt get as churned up but mainly because its a big field and there's only Polo,AliG and their Fell pony friend in it:)

Eventually got round to sorting my shed and horsey 'stuff' out today planing on beach with dogs in the morning then a ride at lunch time...weather permitting of course!