Monday 23 February 2009

Show report but no lesson!

The lesson didnt happen instructor had to cancel which was disappointing,im going to contact the instructor I was using at my old yard see if she's prepared to travel to the new yard its not far so fingers crossed she will.

The show was a good day out on Saturday,Ted got a 2nd and 3rd which I was pretty stunned about considering he was totally wild,wouldnt stand even for a minute,tried to say hello to all the people ringside and actually sumersaulted over when walked up to the judge at one point!
I didnt get anywhere with the others,wasnt surprised with Mouse as her coat is finished and it was a huge class or Minx for the same reason but I reckon Buster deserved a place in his class..hey ho thats the way it goes.
Peter was relieved to see him and looking so well, he said he'd feared the worst when I was keeping him up to date during Busters illness, he got lots of nice comments around the ringside as usual:)
Crufts next week im just delighted he's well and I can take him and show him off
he really is a special boy.

Ali has been a star man again last week its going to make for boring reading:)
My mate,Vic, came and played in the school with us to help work on getting Ali forward,he's doing great on the longlines and improving on the hacks so the next step is to get him more forward in the school under saddle.
I rode and asked for lots of transitions as soon as I could feel him dying off in the pace or not responding promptly when asked to move up into trot etc Vic basically shooshed him from behind with a lunge whip.He made a few spectacular leaps forward until he got the idea but once he cottoned on he was travelling much better and carrying himself rather nicely with very subtle aids exactly what I want,he really lifted his shoulders when making the transitions up into trot which felt absolutely brilliant!
We also did this on the longlines Friday (I think).He did have me skiing a couple of times when 'shooshed' as for some reason he reacts far more with a lunge whip when working from the ground this resulted in some spectacular passage Vic was taken aback at how well he *can* move when he gets his butt into gear!
Sunday we had a fab hack with Vic out longlining her mare.We took them on a new route up onto the roads looping round through the woods and river and back through the fields.They both seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves on their adventure.We were both faffing about trying to take and pose for pics then had a giggle when we realised we'd both totally forgotten about the minor detail that we were out on basically a baby and an unbacked mare on longlines in an unfamiliar place:))
Trimmed both their feet and lunged Ali today nothing demanding just in his halter and playing about for a bit of exercise.

Polo's had a couple of foot soaks this week and two walks out inhand.I hope im not speaking too soon but he seemed full of beans yesterday and I seriously couldnt keep up with him he was striding out so well.I had to keep jogging and friction burnt the soles of my feet by the time we got back to the yard.Fingers crossed he's feeling better and on the mend!

5 comments:

Claire said...

are you not using a wip wop?

good news on Ted, another good 'un on the way up...

good luck for Crufts - shame we won't be able to watch you n the telly...

Jean said...

Great going with Ted. That somersault must have been a riot. I guess it's Ok for a pup to get a little silly at times? I'd love it if I were a judge--shows real character!

Glad Buster is doing well. Have fun at Crufts. I think they show parts of it on TV in the US, but you will simply have to make the group finals for me to see you....so GO FOR IT, BUSTER!!! Yay!!

Good going with Ali too. He is a smart boy and quite a willing worker, it seems. Once he understands "forward" he should offer it too you all the time, as I get the feeling he's pretty honest.

Muriel said...

Oh have you got photos of Ted? I love dogs, but hubby does not want to hear about it.
Well first I get a horse, and perhaps I could buy a puppy ^-^

I am glad you are apreciating Ali more and more. If you are able to stimulate his intelligence, I am sure this boy wil surprise you.

I am glad that all is well in your side of the world ^-^

Nicola said...

I tried the wip wop for a while Claire but its more difficult to coordinate within the gates if that makes sense.
This method seems to work really well for him and can tone it up or down depending on his responses.
Im really pleased with how things are going with Ali, Muriel!
I was finding it hard for a while as im so used to riding Polo who's extremely sharp,sensitive and forward.Ive have to think outside the box more with Ali but he's so level headed I can experiment with him which is great fun,its always been difficult trying new things with Polo as he over reacts.
Your right Jean he is an honest sort.

Crufts isnt being show on TV over here this year, there was a program about pedigree dogs which caused a bit of an uproar so its been dropped by the BBC which is a shame.Anyway I think our chances of getting placed never mind being a group winner are extremely remote.Im just happy to be going again and having Bust looking so well,its remarkable how quickly he's bounced back!
They do make allowances for pups but Ted was pretty extreme, most pups are a bit overawed by their first show but mine have always been the opposite:))
Get the horse sorted Muriel then work on the dog!Im still amazed my OH was fine about me keeping a pup out of each litter but Border's are such nice dogs it makes things a bit easier.

Vic said...

I love Ted, if i get a border i would like one just like him, doesn't hurt that he has such a great name either :) Just wish he wouldn't always jump on me when i have clean jeans on.....!!

Nicola you are underestimating our skills.....we were *asking* for passage.....at least thats my story and i'm sticking to it!!