Tuesday 30 December 2008

The verdict is...

its quite a rare form of epilepsy!
One of the vets rang this morning she said all the results from the biopsies have come back clear so they've basically eliminated any physical problem which could cause these symptoms. She said they could do brain scans but that would mean another trip to Edinburgh plus lots more money.
This was one of the possibilites the vet mentioned on the initial consultation after he'd observed &examined Buster...how good was he!!
I did have a feeling he pretty much knew what was going when i picked Bust up as he seemed so convinced it was treatable but until the results were in didnt want to commit.
Ive done a very brief google for 'limbic epilepsy' and it seems spot on plus in the long term there's a good possibility he'l be able to get weaned off the meds,which the vet did mention too.
He's now on Phenobarbetone had his first tablets today and there is most definate small signs of improvement. He's been a bit perkier tonight and is more affectionate than he has been as he'd distanced himself quite alot through all this which was hard to take.
She did say it was pretty fast acting but im delighted with how fast it seems to be kicking in!
The vet school will continue to oversee his treatment from now on but via my vet so I wont have to keep travelling to Edinburgh.
There are obviously side effects to the medication he's on so ideally if he can come off them in 6months that would be great. He's had no quality of life while this has been going on, just last night he was so up &down i'd seriously considered pts so im relieved to have ANY options.
Will have a more thorough google tomorrow...

So im hoping I will have my old boy back in the next few days and i can enjoy whats left of my hols:)

6 comments:

Muriel said...

Good news!!! It is treatable. I hope Buster will recover soon. Did the vet tell you what triggered the crisis? ( sorry biologist nerd attack!).

I am happy for you to end the year on a good note.

{{{{{{hugs}}}}} best wishes

Jean said...

How strange, and yet a bit of a relief as well since there is an effective treatment.

I'll do some research too. Wonder if acupuncture might help? I have a human acupunturist who insisted he could cure almost anything with acupuncture.

How is your Mom doing? Hopeuflly she is improving too. That would certainly help brighten up the New Year.

I send more good wishes for you all and one more good hug for Buster now that he's starting to appreciate them again.

Jean said...

I figure your Google will find the same sites as mine but here is one that looks really good: http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html

Metions how the liver may be involved. Fascinating stuff.

And, "Aha!" Apparently acupuncture may be helpful. If you have a good acupunture vet around I would highly recommend that. I know for sure how well it worked on my horses. I've had it too, but with more limited success--mostly because my knees are so damaged it's hard to fix what's wrong there. Still, my back was much improved as were my sinuses and a cold I was developing.

Claire said...

result!

as jean asked, how is your mother, when's her op?

Nicola said...

My mum is out of hospital and feeling much better thanks!
She has to go back in February to have the gall bladder out.My work colleague had the same thing happen to him a few years ago.They prefer to wait till it all settles down so it can be done using key hole surgery so she's on a strict low fat diet.

He's a different dog already!
Slept soundly through the night and came out for a walk this morning he's brought up a bit more phlegm this afternoon but nothing to how he has been,hopefully in a few more days the drugs will have totally kicked in.

Muriel I dont think they know what triggers it im still reading up but the ages for 'primary' epilepsy to kick in are between 1-3years.It could be hereditary so Buster's 'life of riley' stud work are probably out of the window.
Although I cant understand how there's a good possibility he'll be able to come off the meds in the future if its an inherited condition which makes me think something has triggered it?
Im not great at understanding the written medical stuff to be honest so I need to speak to the vets again think I was just so relieved at having an answer I missed half of what she said!
Ive got to ring in 10days with an update so hopefully will have a clearer mind.
Thanks Jean thats a good site hadnt found that one, i'll have to look into acupuncture not sure if we have a local vet who does it to be honest.
Its fascinating and complex when you actually start reading about it.
Its interesting re the liver.

I think im on the right track re the diet too.Ive always felt there was a deeper reason for their scavaging and greed and from what ive read about the process of making the complete dog foods many of the enzymes and nutrients they need are killed off during the process.I suppose its the equivalent of us eating ready meals everyday.So im in the middle of switching them onto the dog mince which has fragments of bone left in and veg..eventually they'll have this very lightly cooked then raw as nature intented.

Jean said...

How's Buster???

How's your Mom?