Friday 14 November 2008

Decisions,decisions,decisions....

Im in a quandary!
At the beginning of the week I went on a yard hunt,not for me but for a friend who needed to move urgently,we looked at four yards within a few mile radius of where I am now.To cut a long story short I am seriously tempted by the first yard we visited which is also the one friend chose.
We moved her horses there today and I had a good look around particularly at the hacking and its amazing.They have over 160acres,streams,access to ride through ajoining woods and the roads are extremely quiet too.They are taking 10 as part livery with a further 10 grass liveries,I couldnt afford to pay for the part livery but mine only come in for a couple of hours a day anyway so they would be fine living out.The fields are huge,no mud,good fencing with lots of hedges and trees for natural shelter plus they also have a school!
I had a good chat to YO and he said im welcome to put mine in one of his stables if I want to mess on through the day as his will all be out.I mentioned the fact Polo can be riggy and Alig was late cut and he said not to worry I can have them in a field with geldings only or by themselves if they become a problem he's also happy to let me strip graze during the summer if they get to fat.The fabulous hacking and school are a huge draw.
Writing all that makes me wonder why im deliberating so much!:)))
I suppose they are so settle where we are and I hate the idea of moving them for movings sake when im not exactly unhappy where i am...although the YO can make things hard at times.
My main areas of discontenton at our yard are since the two new horses arrived there are 5big horses plus a pony in the field and it simply isnt big enough,it cant be over two acres,its already looking pretty trashed and muddy and doesnt get rested full stop.We poo pick daily because of the over grazing which isnt exactly fun when your up to your ankles in mud plus the time spend doing this I could be riding oh and the fencing is rubbish,its impossible to get the YO fix or maintain anything,no school and the lane is becoming more and more busy with traffic. I know I have permission to use the school over the road but I dont like to go in more than once a week or when other people are riding and its impossible to get in during the school holidays.
The other issue is hardly anyone rides on our yard,I quite enjoy riding on my own but sometimes its nice to have company to go for a long hack plus im more strict with myself if ive made arrangements to meet and ride:))
M has rode El about a dozen times this year,Jo rides maybe once a week,YO does but to be honest her ponys are so slow I might as well be riding by myself plus she's not my 'cup of tea' and run out of conversation after two minutes!
If this move was me moving house i'd jump at it because its not for me but the horses im thinking and dithering MUCH more,Polo does tend to react badly to a move which puts me off but he would have ALiG with him which should help.
I said i'd have a good think and get back to him within a week or so which gives my friend time to settle in a report back to me:)

Horse news ive been a good girl and rode BOTH boys this week plus had great fun in the school with Ali playing with the poles.We've not done this for ages and he was incredibly keen and forward cantering and jumping them when I was trying to get him to trot,most unusual for him but good!
Polo was pretty blumming good considering how long its been since I last rode him,we didnt go far but he seemed happy to be out.

3 comments:

Muriel said...

Oh good news! I am sure that it will be easier for Polo to settle if AliG is with him. Plus you can put them in a field apart until they settle then with a group of gelding... lots of play. It is what AliG needs he is young!
The school will help so much!

Go for it!

You sounded so unhappy about your YO!

Jean said...

H-m-m-m. That last unhappy post about your YO makes me think a move would be a good idea. Polo will cope just fine especially with the proper turnout you are talking about.

Moving is always a chore, but this sounds like it might be a good one. I like your idea of waiting a bit while your friend settles in just to be sure, but it seems the plusses outweigh the minuses this time.

I like the idea of all the hacking around the immediate area, the arena right there and people to ride with. All of that makes riding a lot more attractive.

Whatever you decide, I'll still be here to encourage you! We horsefolk have to stick together. *G*

cptrayes said...

MOVE!!!

C