Tuesday 14 October 2008

Holidays are coming...

and its a good job im so busy at the minute.Break up on Friday,well sort of.Im going to be working one night as its assessment week for new students up to now we only have two coming into residence so if it stays like this i'll only have to work one night and im off all of the following week too!:))

I actually rode a few times last week shocking but true:))
Alig had a session in the longreins in the school which he was a good as ever.
I also did a short lunge session then rode last Friday.I was really pleased he hasnt gone backwards despite not having a lot of work under saddle recently it proves the work on the longlines is effective and doing the job.
Yesterday we went out for hack he was very sensible leading past a tractor,he did have a very short spell when he pinned his ears I just rode him firmly and he snapped out of it and was fine for the rest of the time.It does seem like he gets to a point then decides he's done enough but it was more like a token protest and he didnt for one minute feel like he was going to escalate it and go up.We had a fab canter along the verge heading home very bouncy and forward it is a nice feeling to ride a horse that you 'know' isnt going to drop a shoulder and spook.:)

Its decision day for the pups on Saturday breeder is coming down for a show so will come and give me his opinion im pretty certain he'll love the blue dog but half of me is hoping he goes for the girl..she is far too cute and cuddly.
However it would mean disappointing friends who have their heart set on her.Thats the one saving grace here I know where she's going and will be able to see her,still tough though..im so not cut out for this breeding malarky!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Glad to hear AliG's training is holding. Gives me hope Chance will not forget everything with this layoff. *G*

I could never be a breeder. I would want to keep every pup in the litter. Has to be hard giving them up, even if it is to good homes.

I'll be interested to hear which one is selected.

Muriel said...

Breeding is not for me either. I already found so hard to sell a horse trying to find the "perfect" home, I could not cope with whole litter of pups!

Who taught you long-lines? what kind of exercises do you do?

Claire said...

think of the money... it's hard, you have to be, i think!

glad ali's going well!

Nicola said...

Trouble is Claire by the time ive paid the stud fee,driven up and down to Scotland twice,paid vet bills,wormed every 2weeks,fed and paid to register them there isnt much money to be made and thats not counting the stress and hard work.

I taught myself the longlining Muriel from Richard Maxwell's dvd.
I basically just play around getting him to bend and flex,work on rhythm,lengthening and shortening the stride.I can really get his hinds activated on the lines which is something he needs as he can make the front end look pretty very easily without working from behind.
I dont really know what im doing to be honest haha you'd be better asking Jean!