Friday 6 November 2009

Good news

I guess its good news,it was muscular with Ali possibly the spook or hurtling around hunting who knows but pleased it was relatively straight forward. Physio gave him a good going over last week,not sure thats correct physio terminology:)) said to give him a few days off then start working him.
So I did a few days longreining up the lane and have rode him yesterday and today-he feels MUCH better. Today we went for a hack and his stride in walk was longer and freer so thats good.
Yesterday Vic and I were meant to hack out after we'd clipped Ali and Ted, obviously not my dog Ted but Vic's horse Ted,we also have a cat on the yard called Ted:))) Anyway it took ages to get them done (Ali is now sporting a lightening bolt on his bum) and was dark by the time we'd finish so we had to ride in the school with the lights.
I only did a 20minute spell but guess what?!?!...well the traver seems to be coming along quite nicely in walk so we were going down the length of the school in traver then got several steps in half pass!
Im very chuffed ive never done anything more than the extreme basics, infact spent very little time in a school during my years riding. Im sure half pass is pretty basic to most but to me its a real achievement not just to be riding it but to have taught it too.
I have to say although Ali can be annoyingly lazy at times he is such a straight forward horse to work with its easy to learn things with him and I do feel his attitude has changed it feels like he's trying more and is pleased when he knows he's done something well. It was pretty funny as I was obviously a bit over the top with the praise after the half pass and as I was patting him he reached around for his treat, typically I didnt have any in my pocket so had to steal one from Vic who was in the school also. Ive used treats no more than couple of times when he's done something well but its obviously had a big impact on him and he clearly thought he'd more than earned one so will have to make sure I am always armed with treats in the future.

Dog show last weekend, I wasnt too hopeful with the boys coat situation but Mouse looks well and Vic's pup Lottie was entered so we went regardless.
Ted got nothing and was all over the place on the table when the judge was going over him which I thought was unusual as thats the one place he's usual good plus he'd been standing well before this. Afterwards I notice the table was wobbling quite a bit so think this is what unsettled him.
I nearly pulled Buster as I thought if she didnt like Ted and his hairyness then Buster stood no chance so was really suprised when she gave him 3rd in a decent sized class. I do think she was really focused on movement and Buster powers his way around the ring.
Mouse didnt get anything and actually I thought she deserved a placing in the line up but infairness im still not convinced she's entirely over the back injury and I dont think she's moving 100%.Peter had a good outing all his dogs were placed highly including his new pup and the puppy's sister (who isnt owned by him) got best puppy in show so bodes well for them.
Vic's pup was slighly wild about it all, leaping around and going to jelly whenever the judge so much as glanced at her but was in two classes and definitely settled down by the 2nd class. She didnt get placed but I think gave lots of people a chuckle...exactly how a puppy should be at their first show.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Good news about Ali. Muscles usually work out well.

Half pass is not just a basic, simple exercise, so you should be pleased to teach it. Good for Ali to be trying so hard to please you, it makes all the difference in the world.

Fun stories about the pups, although it still seems the judging is a bit erratic. But your dogs are all doing well, regardless, so it's still worth the effort.