Friday 4 April 2008

Yippyyyyyyyy...........

Nothing much to report re my two this week.
Rode Polo mid week and he didnt feel too bad but still not right so im going to wait for the physio to come out.
I 'think' ive caught Ali's splint(if thats what it is) nice and early been cold hosing and putting the ice boot on twice a day.There is a slight amount of heat so im being extra cautious after the other one took so long to settle and going to rest him for a couple of weeks.Its maddening cos he so fat and we just seem to be getting somewhere and yet again im having to stop but I know after the last one not to push my luck!Ive got a lesson booked at the end of May so im hoping couple weeks rest now then start back so he's got a couple of weeks work under his belt before the lesson...well thats the plan:0

Today I had a blast riding Jo's daughters little pone.He'll be lucky if he's 12hh but im not being cruel honest he's built like a brick sh#thouse all huge body with these short legs,plus im only 5ft and was assured I didnt look ridiculously big on him:)
He started off feeling crooked and irritable but after a little while he seemed to loosen up and was stomping along leading all the way there and back.I rode most of the way with no stirrups it just felt more comfortable with his dinky pony movement and put my treeless on.I didNOT like the look of the treed saddle they use on him.
What a little star he is so determind to be infront and basically made a mockery of Jo's and YO's much bigger horses.:) We had a couple of canters,I avoided the trot as it was so fast I couldnt rise and didnt want to stay on his back with being a bit too big for him.I could feel him relax and start to lengthen his walk towards the end instead of taking more hurried steps.
Jo rode him yesterday and he seemed irritable and with lots of head tossing and pulling,Jo is alot bigger than me so not sure if it was this,the saddle of he just appreciated the way I rode him but either way I had fun!

5 comments:

Claire said...

probably the saddle ;-)

cptrayes said...

D'ya wanna borrow some roller skates :-)?

Jean said...

It bet it's the saddle too. Once a horse feels a treeless and likes it, there's not turning back, especially if he is an opinionated pony. Some horses will be very expressive about their preferences. The same thing happens if they don't like treeless.

Sounds like a fun ride, though. Nothing like a nice "goey" happy horse on a hack.

Nicola said...

Ahh man spoil my delusions it was my great riding:)))))
He was fun YO has offered me the ride on her 'tortured soul' cob (he's the one I think has ulcers).Not sure I'll take her up on the offer its quite nice having a break and catching up on jobs I never get time to do although im sure i'll get bored soon.

Im feeling quite happy about Ali's leg it felt cool tonight and no puffiness, the cold hosing and rest is obviously working.
Think I'll rest him for this week then start 'again' next week.

Im a cruel mummy as I refuse to put their rugs back on, they are both a bit porky especially Ali!!They have access to a nice big shed with lots of hay to escape from the weather so im not being too cruel.
When I got there today they were both out in the middle of the field in a blizzard.Ali grazing Polo was asleep!:0

Claire said...

i wasn't going to put molly's rug back on but when it turned into white out i went down and got her in, and she was cold (portia was hogging the field shelter, so Molly couldn't get in there...) so she got her wicking rug on and will be rugged tomorrow...burgers...