Monday 28 April 2008

Little #~$%!

Blumming AliG is cruising for trouble he's really made me mad today!

Rode them both yesterday Polo had a plod up the lane with dogs in tow,they are having a whale of a time at the minute at there are rabbits everywhere:)
Took AliG for the same ride its not far but he felt jumpy and a bit on edge I thought he was maybe a bit rattled as it was the first hack out since I came off.
So today I decide to lunge him for 5/10mins then go out for a hack with Marina to build his confidence back up.He was snorting when I lunge him in the top field and trying to dictate the direction so I made him work quite hard and he got a few good shoves out with my body language when he was falling in making him leap in the air.
He was blowing time he finish so off we went on the hack.Honestly he can be so slow and backward thinking it was seriously bugging me!We got off the lane onto the track and the ears pinned and he started the funny business, I'd left the pressure halter on and had the long rope we use for the RMaxwell groundwork so I thought i'd get off and work him on the circle.He knew it was coming so tried to back up (boy he's strong)I put pressure on to get him to move forward so he tried to rear I stepped onto an angle stopping him and hopefully giving him enough discomfort with the halter to make him think twice about doing that again!
The circling didnt seem to be having much effect so I decided to lead him in the direction he didnt want to go in and make him go infront I really made him walk out and everytime he scowled at Ellie he got a sharp jerk on the halter,I dont think the problem is with the other horse at all its just like he gets mad and takes it out on them.
So I marched him on infront to the end of the track where I had to turn back and sure enough the ears came up and Mr Nice guy returned!!!
It really goes against the grain for me to get off I feel like im admitting defeat but A)when he rears he's full up literally a few degrees off going over and Im not risking that,B) I get mad and just want to wallop him which gets no results from him other than more of a battle..he just that type of horse and c) leading him got him to go where I wanted him to go with little problem and stopped me getting quite so mad so I suppose im going to have to get over the feeling of 'losing'.
Im feeling incredibly frustrated with him he's so backward thinking and bloody lazy its driving me mad im just not used to this. I think the enthusiasm of the early rides was because it was all new M said its almost like he's said yeah done that and frankly I cant be ar#ed now......even in the school he does the bare mininum.
How the heck do I get this horse to have some enthusiasum for doing anything other than eating?!?

4 comments:

Jean said...

Eliminate all the physical issues first, ulcers included even if AliG is young. Hopefully he is fully gelded and not at all riggy since some of his behavior is a little bad stalliony....

Once you know he really has no excuse except for an "attitude," then you have to deal with it. Considering how naughty he can be, it might actually require some work with a trainer who is better used to and equipped to handle such behavior problems.

The rearing is really scary and I don't advocate anyone fooling around with that except an expert. Don't mean to be so negative, but every since my friend was nearly killed with a rearer, it really is my #1 worst habit a horse can develop.

Now, on a more positive note, if AliG is just being a brat, then the ground work can really help. What he needs right now are tons of the basics of obedience and response to the aids all 'round. Always, always forward. He needs to understand that the driving aids mean forward, no matter what.

Don't ever feel bad about getting off when the horse is being unsafe. Some trainers may disagree, but there is no sense in getting hurt when your horse is behaving dangerously. You are not being cowardly, just smart.

If Kenny Harlow were over there, I'd tell you to get AliG to him. He is a John Lyons trainer and knows how to deal with AliG horses--I know because he certainly dealt with my Tucker who, out of the arena, certainly had some similar bad habits. Tuck, as you know, still exhibits some of the "not forward" behavior, but his "boot camp" experience with Kenny really made a huge difference.

Anyone around there that might be able to do some "remedial" work for you with "Mr. Getting Too Big for his Britches" AliG?

Nicola said...

Ive got the physio coming to see Polo soon so was thinking of getting him to check Ali out plus the dentist is coming today so the should rule a few things out..although he can turn it off and on when he see fit so I doubt its pain to be honest.

Incidentaly Rach did say he was a hot,firey little stallion which is why she stipulated he had to be gelded to be sold over here so some of this behaviour/attitude could be remenants of this.



////The rearing is really scary and I don't advocate anyone fooling around with that except an expert. Don't mean to be so negative, but every since my friend was nearly killed with a rearer, it really is my #1 worst habit a horse can develop.////
Yes I quite agree its my least favourite evasion which is why im not risking it and getting off.He is so well balance he can walk on his back legs so i'd rather get off and deal with him on the ground for now.

I think your right the key is he doesnt want to go forward as ive said even in the school he does the bare essentials and has to be pushed to do that.
Ive asked Jo if she'll come out and we'll go back a step and do some longreining out I can really drive him forward and im going to really push and work him hard in the school.I 'think' im pretty consistant and never let him away with doing what he wants but its obviously not getting through to him yet and Im not very good at staying cool and want clobber him:0

Dont really know of anyone local, shame Ryan isnt about he would have been a great help:(
I have a lesson with Peter Maddison Greenwell end of next month so I have a chat to him about it.
The only other possibiliy I can think of would be sending him to Richard Maxwell he does take horse's on at his yard the only problem would be getting Ali there as its quite a way.Plus would he do it if he was only there a few weeks and I doubt i could afford to send him away for longer than 3weeks.

Dont get mew wrong he doesnt feel like he's going to rear all the time its just the odd protest and he isnt putting up as much of an argument as he did before.I think half the problem is ive never been able to truely work through it with him because ive had to keep stopping because of his legs but I said to M his leg can fall off and im not stopping with him this time :))

Nicola said...

Teeth have been checked today(guy so busy cant do either of them till August) anyway he said he has an excellent mouth, absolutely no problems there!

cptrayes said...

Oh I do understand what you mean about feeling as though you are "losing".

Sound to me like you are doing the right kind of things, just that it's driving you mad to have to.

my sympathies are with you.

C