Friday 11 April 2008

Winter out..Spring in!?!?

The neds that is!
Ive brought them in over night the past few days,its either hail stoning or pouring down with rain so the fields a mud bath..it madness they've been out all winter and ive had to bring them in now!:0
AliG is not remotely bothered but Polo is looking fed up by it all so older boy gets priority and they are both in:))
When I was up tonight Ali was off in the field grazing but Polo spotted me so came to the gate wanting to be in,it was pelting down with rain.So I got him him and was picking feet out when I heard this high pitch whinny looked up and Ali was at the gate as if to say "come on im here now!"
I have been a busy bee though I turfed both their stables out yesterday scrubbed Polo's mats,hosed and disenfected then painted the walls.

Im feeling cautiously optimistic about Ali's leg there is no swelling there now with only a hint of heat at times,ive been hosing it religiously and was using the ice boot until he decided to pull it off and rip it up!:0
Im wary about getting him back to work too quickly incase I jeopardize the lesson ive booked (and paid for ) at the end on May,particularly after the last splint, but weather permitting might try a couple of ground work session's in the next couple of days and see if there's any reaction in the leg.

Ive also been to see a stallion with Ellie's owner today as she's putting her in foal...it wasnt a very good specimen I have to say!

4 comments:

cptrayes said...

What is it about we English that we insist on breeding from poor quality stock!?

C

Nicola said...

Believe it or not he's meant to have been graded with all 9's and has 150+dressage points but I just couldnt see it. He had nothing about him at all no presence that you'd expect from a stallion.Maybe im spoilt as im used to John's stallions who are muscular powerhouse's that make you go wow but surely a stallion should have that extra oomph?
I was pretty baffled that they knew we were coming but hadnt brushed him and seemed reluctant to get him out so we could see him move.Surely no one would make a decision just by seeing him stood in a box?!
Anyway we are supposed to be going back to see him ridden in two weeks but i doubt she'll want to.I said to her would you look twice at him if he was all bay and she said no..so that says it all really.
I think she's pretty much decided to go with Country TopDollar who is TopGun's son.He's very nice (would be my choice after Topgun). Apparently his stud fee is going up as he's either gone through another grading and excelled or won something big...i realise i sound a bit clueless but im getting all this info 2nd hand plus with a ton of other stuff thrown in! :)))

Jean said...

Does she really NEED a foal? Is this to sell or for her? So many people seem to think breeding is the right thing to do. Meanwhile there are so many horses out there needing good homes. (Sounds like the dog/cat situation on a larger scale.)

Sorry about that weather. At least Polo had some good sense about coming in out of the rain.

AliG's leg seems to be coming along. Just take it easy and that clinic will be timed just right for you both.

Nicola said...

Truthfully Jean I dont know why she's putting her in foal, the foal is to keep!
She barely rides Ellie and her OH is controlling... one minute he's nice the next minute he's making her life a misery and she doesnt know whether she's coming or going which makes her life uncertain and unbalanced.
Dont get me wrong it'll be extremely well looked after and Ellie is a lovely mare in many ways (minus the weight)
The problem is she hasnt asked my opinion (I fear because she knows what i'll say!) and its difficult to say "why are you doing this" when she's not asked what I think.
I have dropped things into the conversation like its a risk to Ellie (as any foaling is) that a youngster will be lot's of work and money.(she hasnt got the skills to break in a youngster).
But she's 100% decided so I figured the best I could do was help her find a half decent stallion so if she does have to sell in the future at least it will be of 'some' quality.
Its an awkward situation but I did manage to diverted her from the first stallion she was going to use ,when she showed me vid footage its movement was terrible. She also has decided against the stallion we visited..thankfully!
So she's going the AI route and definately going for TopGun's son "Country TopDollar" if you want to google him.He's nice (I still like Topgun best)so at least she using a good stallion.