Monday 22 June 2009

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

We had another good show on Saturday...can you tell?!?!:))
Im a bit despairing with Ted as he just doesnt seem to be getting the idea at all, he goes into the silly zone boinging around generally being mental.He is getting away with it at the moment because he's still in puppy class and he did get 2nd which is brill at champ show level but im sure its costing him because how can they see him move when he's bouncing around. He is quite good on the table having said that.
Buster was in next and I knew the judge liked him as he came back to see him several times but as I expected his coat was probably the issue as just before the judge did his placings he came and gripped Busters coat as if telling me why. BUT he still got 3rd which at this level is not to be sniffed at as it was another Crufts qualifying class.
We had a wander around the various dog shops as there was a good gap until Mouses classes then came back to watch Peter's star bitch,the one who got best pup at Crufts. I thought she was a mile ahead of all the others in the class but she is being a bit funny in the ring so wasnt showing herself to her best,she still got 3rd.
Mouse was in shortly after this. Now I wasnt expecting a thing with her as Post Grad is tough,usually big entries and a Crufts qualifier.I did feel she was looking well and her coat is tip-top but when we first went in I didnt think the judge looked at her and as it was a large class thought to myself 'well the boys did well I cant complain'.
She is tricky to show and a bit of a live wire in the ring so I have to really focus on her so obviously missed out of the fact he actually quite liked her until the final line up when I saw him really looking at her and the bitch next to us.
She ended up getting 2nd which is absolutely brilliant as the other bitch is a *good* dog and that has qualified her for Crufts too...so I will be taking the three show'ers to Crufts I cant believe it!:000
I honestly thought our last show was 'our show' of the year and although we didnt get any firsts to have them all very well placed again is unbelievable im totally chuffed.

Horsewise my pad hasnt come yet so hopefully tomorrow it will turn up,Claire ive just wanted one for ages and thought it would be nice for the neds no major concerns.

Ali had a bit of a quieter week as its wind-down time.I did school him once which wasnt good and he put in a couple of big bucks despite me totally giving him a loose rein to see if the contact was why he's had a couple of bucks recently.
Im swaying between he's a bit confused-the work is a bit more demanding now and he's protesting-and he's a bit uncomfortable sore somewhere?
He only does it on the one rein, this has always been the rein he's not wanted to bend on, anyway as soon I swapped to the other he worked nicely.
I gave him a light lunge the following day and he looked ok on both reins, yesterday he had a lovely hack and was walking and swinging along nicely.
Today I took him in the school. He was behind the leg intially but then improved, I started with his good rein flexing,leg yielding and shoulder in in walk and trot then moved onto his not so good rein. I kept it short half halting then flexing and he actually worked really nicely and was reaching into the contact,we then popped a tiny jump that was set up in the school twice and I called it a day.
Day off tomorrow on his 2nd wind down week so i'll probably do feet.

4 comments:

Jean said...

My goodness! What a wonderful set of placings for the "kids." I have to laugh at Ted. How could you possibly correct such silly behavior? I'd be laughing too hard if I were handling him.

Must be hard to get their coats just right for each show. But the best is Mouse's placing! The Boys have done well before but now so has she! You must be busting your buttons. When is Crufts?

Suspicions arise about AliG's being sore somewhere. When Tucker was sore in his hocks, he tried to buck and got really "nasty" about taking his canter lead. To trot him and even canter him on the line--nothing showed up. It even had the vet puzzled until I saddles him up and she watched me try to ride him. Then, a flexion test later, and he showed some soreness. Nothing some Adequan couldn't fix, however. Toby used to buck too when his hocks bothered him.

According to my other vet, hock soreness is very, very common in dressage horses. Many horses show no real symptoms until they get very sore, but some, like my guys, feel the need to "tell" their riders sooner than later.

One suggestion. You can give AliG a dose of bute. Give it time to take effect and then ride him. If he doesn't give you trouble, then pain is likely the cause of his bad behavior. Just a thought.

Nicola said...

Doh good thinking about the bute Jean..now why didnt I think about that!
The thing is he kept wanting to break into canter as if that was easier than trotting?

Honestly im sooo pleased about the dogs,Mouse has been to Crufts twice but didnt show last year with the pups and I really didnt think she would qualify again as it gets harder and harder as they move up the classes.
Ted is frustratingly funny:)

Claire said...

well done , crufts with three is excellent! onwards and upwards...

the massage pad is having a great effect on molly she enjoying it and (as you know) i think that's why we've now got trot again...can only improve (touch wood)

Jean said...

I remember once when my PJ had a cut on his hind end--might have been from a kick. But he didn't seem lame, just sore at the wound spot. I took him to a show and he didn't want to trot at all. We kept getting canter instead.

I think the canter allows two things: one, as a more lateral gait, it allows the horse to "favor" one side or the other and two it has less concussion than the trot.

And the bute? My one trainer told me sometime on bute, horses can be harder to the bit, so just be aware in case AliG is a little less responsive.