Saturday 27 June 2009

None the wiser!

A reasonably quiet week riding wise.
Hacked Ali on Monday then light lunge Thursday, lots of walk with some trot using poles.
I gave Ali a bute sachet Thursday then again Friday afternoon so that he would have it in his system ready for a schooling session which was planned for today.
Well im none the wiser as the title suggests he felt okay on the favorite right rein in addition to the flexions, leg yielding and shoulder in-walk and trot,I focused on halt to trot and reinback to trot etc. I still feel he's not quite 'off the leg' so thought this would be a good way to sharpen him up plus get him using his backend and off his shoulders.
I moved onto his left,stiff rein. The flexions and bend werent as good so lots of half halts and flexing but the shoulder in was better than the right?
He threatened to buck when he first struck off into canter but didnt then once again which I put a stop to by lifting my hands and sending him forward other than that he was fine.
So he still wanted to buck despite the bute...probably not pain?
He did a couple of fabby walk to canters on the right rein just as our the YO's hubby came into the arena which I was pleased about as last week he jokingly told me I was an idiot to have paid so much for Ali cos he "couldnt do anything". His *idea* of a good horse is a horse that bounces,rears and cant stand still so to him my sensible 5year old PRE aint quality!


Tomorrow Ali is going for a hack acting as nanny again to a mare who was recently imported from Holland. She had a rough time coming over and at the dealers yard so lost trust and went a bit wild for a while so the owner has gone back to scratch with her longreining and treating her as unbacked Ali is perfect for the first hack as nothing the other horses do fazes him and his calmness doesnt wind horses up.
She really is the most stunning WB mare you will ever see!

4 comments:

Danni said...

How is he to canter on the left rein on the lunge, and on a hack? A puzzle for sure!

Hmm, I'd give my back teeth for a 5 year old of any breed who was as chilled in their manners as Ali. Being able to nanny other horses is a fine skill to have, even more desirable in one so young. And the schooling will come with time. Better than bouncing around an open on a 12 year old eejit Luso *whistles*

Enjoy the hack!

Jean said...

Probably not joint pain, then. Still could be sore muscles. The bute did not work on my PJ who had chronic muscle soreness.

Or, it could just be a training issue you are going to have to work through. I do suppose you have eliminated any possibility that the saddle is bothering him? Digging into his shoulder or wither on the left?

Have fun on the hack. Sounds like a perfect job to keep AliG happy for the day.

Jean said...

Where are you!!!!

What's up with everyone?

Pups? AliG?

cptrayes said...

you never told me you'd started blogging again!!

Seems like you've stopped again anyway so I'll try not to take offence.

I'm glad Buster is OK nad back to the showring.

C